Free lunches for Pakistan PM’s secretariat staffJuly 25th, 2011 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 25 (IANS) There are no free lunches, right. Wrong. If you are part of the Pakistan prime minister’s secretariat, then not only do you get free lunch, you also get dinner and tea at the taxpayer’s expense.
The prime minister’s secretariat has created a separate account to provide lunch, dinner and tea to its employees, reported Dawn.
Interestingly, no limits have been placed on the expenses to be incurred by the secretariat staff.
Auditors had noted that without any legal provision, breakfast, dinner, lunch and tea was being served to employees working in the secretariat.
A sum of Rs.10.48 million was spent under the head in 2009-10.
The money was spent from an account maintained by the secretariat to purchase gifts for visiting foreign dignitaries and distribution of items or cash awards to the poor.
The media report said the money in that account was used to feed the secretariat staff. It worked out to an average Rs.30,000 every day.
- Pakistan Auditor General finds massive irregularities in ERRA accounts - Nov 29, 2010
- "Massages and pleasure trips" typified Brown govt MP's "Culture of excess" - Aug 13, 2010
- Government to make CAG more effective: Pranab - Nov 16, 2011
- A whopping Rs.74 mn spent on Pakistani PM's home, office - Nov 04, 2010
- Snobbish bugs prefer coffee for beverage - Jun 08, 2011
- Meghalaya lawmakers gave fake bills for foreign jaunt: report - Mar 19, 2010
- Pranab compliments CAG work, gets Joshi's praise (Roundup) - Nov 16, 2011
- UK public bodies splurge taxpayers' money to teach officials how to walk - Feb 20, 2011
- Banana crisis hits Kerala (Letter from Kerala) - Jul 14, 2012
- The creative genius who bore suffering silently (Tribute - May 9 is 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore) - May 07, 2010
- State-run firms in Karnataka incur Rs.865 crore losses: CAG - Mar 15, 2011
- Auditor general should probe fund diversion: RTI activist - Aug 03, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh top official in dock over dinner - Sep 13, 2011
- NCP walks out demanding Meghalaya minister's ouster - Mar 23, 2010
- Knowles ketchup cravings - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: breakfast dinner, cash awards, dawn, dinner lunch, foreign dignitaries, free lunch, free lunches, legal provision, lunch dinner, money, pakistan, prime minister, secretariat, secretariat staff, staff auditors, tea