Four Pakistani sailors released by Somali piratesJune 14th, 2011 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 14 (IANS) Somali pirates have released four Pakistani sailors kept hostage for 10 months, Geo News reported.
Captain Syed Wasi Hasan, Muzzamil, Mohammed Alam and Ali Rehman were the four Pakistanis among the 22 crew members of MV Suez, an Egyptian cargo vessel that was hijacked by pirates in the Gulf of Aden Aug 2, 2010.
The hostages - besides the Pakistanis - comprised six Indians, 11 Egyptians and one Sri Lankan.
Pakistani human rights activist Ansar Burney played an important role in the release of the hostages. The government and the Ansar Burney Welfare Trust reportedly paid a ransom of $2.1 million to the pirates, a spokesman said.
Wasi Hasan, one of the hostages, told Geo News that his captors had threatened to kill him. He thanked the nation and the media and showered special praise on Burney for the role played in securing the sailors’ release.
Hasan, who said his captors fed him only rice and spaghetti during the entire ordeal, also spoke to his wife and children.
- Pakistani sailors' families welcome release by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- Thanks to Pakistan, Indian sailors gain freedom (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Indian government did not contact us: Sailor's family - Jun 24, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Somali pirates free Indians, government tightlipped about Pakistani help (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Somali pirates release 6 Indian sailors - Jun 14, 2011
- Abducted Indian sailors' families demand action from government - Mar 06, 2011
- Himachal family awaits return of sailor freed by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- India happy over its sailors' release by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- Family of Haryana sailor ecstatic over his safe return - Jun 24, 2011
- When Suez's captain shed tears on daughter's shoulders - Jun 24, 2011
- BJP thanks Pakistani activist, not navy, for saving Indian sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- Freed after 10 months, Indian sailors to return home (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian-Pakistani efforts to free another pirate-held ship - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: 10 months, 11 egyptians, alam, ansar burney welfare trust, aug 2, cargo vessel, crew members, geo news, gulf of aden, hasan, hostages, islamabad, ordeal, pakistanis, rehman, sailors, somali pirates, sri lankan, suez, wasi