Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutinyJune 7th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 7 (IANS) Former Sri Lankan army chief Sarath Fonseka, who was released from jail a few weeks ago, and his personal assistant will be tried for harbouring army deserters and mutiny during the 2010 presidential election.
The trial for the country’s first four-star general and Senaka Haripriya de Silva will begin June 21, the former army official’s attorney told Xinhua.
Fonseka entered politics as President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s main opponent after leading the country’s three-decade-long civil war to victory in 2009 against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Fonseka, who was jailed following his election defeat in 2010, was freed on a conditional presidential pardon May 21.
On Thursday, Fonseka made his first appearance in court after receiving the conditional pardon, which freed him from jail but prevents from engaging in politics for more than five years.
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- Sri Lankan ex-army chief gets bail - May 18, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Chaos in Colombo court after ex-army chief gets new jail term - Nov 19, 2011
- Former Sri Lankan Army chief arrested, to be court-martialled (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan president ratifies ex-army chief's dishonorable discharge - Aug 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka against disguising global influence - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- Fonseka jailed for three years - Nov 18, 2011
- Sri Lanka court frees ex-army chief's aides - Sep 25, 2010
- Sri Lanka military court finds former Army chief guilty - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: army chief, army deserters, army official, de silva, election defeat, first appearance, four star, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, more than five years, mutiny, personal assistant, president mahinda rajapaksa, presidential pardon, sarath fonseka, senaka, sri lankan army, star general, xinhua