Former LTTE leader slams Tamil Nadu politiciansJuly 22nd, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 22 (IANS) A former Tamil Tiger rebel now in the custody of the government Sunday slammed Indian Tamil politicians for using the Tamil issue in Sri Lanka for their political gain.
Kumaran Pathmanathan, better known as KP, who was once the chief arms procurer for the Tamil Tigers, said politicians in Tamil Nadu were using Sri Lanka to bag votes in elections, Xinhua reported.
“Innocent people who don’t know their political agenda believed them but it is sad and unfortunate how this pack of politicians used them as a tool to strengthen their vote base,” Pathmanathan told state media.
He said it was hilarious to see the concern of Tamil Nadu politicians to create a separate land for Tamils in an era when Sri Lankan Tamils want to live in a united country.
“I strongly believe now that no external force can solve our problems, which are unique to us,” he said.
Pathmanathan issued an open challenge to Tamil Nadu politicians to show their genuineness by voicing their concerns on behalf of more than 100,000 Sri Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu who are living in poor conditions.
“(The refugees) are struggling to live. Children don’t have proper education as they don’t have birth certificates. They are still languishing in camps with poor living conditions,” he said.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha and her predecessor M. Karunanidhi often voice concerns on Sri Lanka over various issues and seek the intervention of the Indian government.
Pathmanathan was arrested in Malaysia by the Sri Lankan intelligence soon after the war ended in May 2009. He has been in Sri Lankan custody since then.
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka vote in line with our stand: PM - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Sri Lankan refugees return from India - Oct 12, 2011
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Seek release of Indian advocate held in Sri Lanka: Vaiko - Jan 21, 2011
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa hits out at Jayalalithaa - Aug 08, 2011
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Indian prisoners in Colombo feel betrayed by Delhi - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: birth certificates, chief minister, genuineness, indian government, jayalalitha, kp, ltte leader, open challenge, political agenda, political gain, politicians, predecessor, proper education, refugees, tamil tiger, tamil tigers, tamils, united country, voice concerns, xinhua