Foreign powers control Pakistani Taliban, says politicianJune 14th, 2011 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 14 (IANS) The Afghan Taliban were not involved in any kind of activities inside Pakistan but the Pakistani Taliban are being controlled by “foreign intelligence agencies”, a Pakistani politician has alleged.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan is “playing in the hands” of foreign intelligence agencies against the interests of the country, Dawn News quoted Asif Fasihuddin Wardag, central president of the Tehrik-e-Istiqlal party, as saying.
Wardag said countering terror with force would breed more terror, while dialogue and development programmes in the far-flung tribal areas would be the “most appropriate” or the “only option” to end extremism.
“We can still persuade our brethren in tribal areas for peaceful dialogue, as military operation will shed the blood of Pakistanis on both sides,” he said.
“Taking up development programmes in those areas would be a first confidence building measure.”
Wardag said there was no unrest in the northwestern tribal belt till the launching of military operations by former president Pervez Musharraf.
- Canada blacklists Pakistan Taliban - Jul 06, 2011
- Key Taliban leader arrested in Islamabad - Jul 03, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan to create immigration system along Afghan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- US doubtful about winning war on Pakistan border - Dec 06, 2010
- 16 Taliban surrender in Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Influential Pak politicians helping Taliban carry out terror strikes, claims terror suspect - Nov 17, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban deny New York car bomb claim (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Pakistan mosque blast toll reaches 36 - Feb 18, 2012
- Pak Taliban planning to attack foreign aid workers involved in flood relief: US - Aug 26, 2010
- Taliban sympathisers may be present within Pak security forces: Editorial - Dec 08, 2010
- Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claims responsibility for Lahore attacks - Sep 03, 2010
- Mumbai attacks bared LeT's global ambitions: US report - Aug 06, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban hold peace talks - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,