Five missing as trawler capsizes in BangladeshJanuary 27th, 2009 - 3:15 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 27 (Xinhua) Five people were missing Monday when a trawler carrying 40 people capsized on a river in Bangladesh’s Madaripur district, the police said.The accident occurred at around 5 p.m., some 90 km southwest of Dhaka.
Devdas Bhattacharya, district police chief, said the accident occurred due to the overloading of the vessel. Thirty-five people swam ashore, while five were missing.
He added that the boat was found 50 feet under water in Arial Khan River and would be pulled out when the equipments reach there from Dhaka Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the five missing, three children and two women, are feared drowned.
In a similar accident last week, 25 people were missing in Bangladesh’s southeastern Chandpur district.
- 35 dead, 10 missing in Bangladesh boat capsize - Dec 19, 2010
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- All 35 dead in Bangladesh boat tragedy women, kids - Dec 19, 2010
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 22 people missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jan 19, 2009
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 22 bodies retrieved from sunken trawler in Bangladesh - Jan 20, 2009
- 21 missing as trawler sinks in Bangladesh - Oct 23, 2009
- 13 drowned as boat capsizes on Chambal river - Nov 13, 2011
- 11 Bangladesh's opposition party activists killed in accident - Apr 18, 2010
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- 12 killed, many missing in Bangladesh boat accident - Jun 08, 2010
- Seven killed in Bangladesh boat capsize - Jul 07, 2011