Five die, 30 hurt in Peshawar mosque blastOctober 23rd, 2010 - 3:35 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 23 (IANS) Five people were killed and 30 others injured Friday in a bomb attack at a mosque in Pakistan’s northwestern Peshawar city.
The blast took place when people were coming out after offering Friday prayers at the mosque in Pishta Khara area of Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Five people were killed, while four of the injured were in a critical condition, Dawn reported.
Police said the bomb, which weighed 1.5 kg, was planted with a time device.
“We had stepped up security outside mosques in sensitive areas but this one was not in that list,” said senior superintendent of police Ijaz Ahmad.
Bomb disposal officials said the blast was caused by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) concealed in utensils.
Information minister Iftikhar Hussain “condemned the blast” and said “such incidents would keep occurring unless and until all terrorists are tracked down”.
“We are in a state of war against the militants and this is their reaction to our successes,” he added.
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has become the flashpoint of the war on terror since 2001 because of its close proximity to the Afghan border.
Hundreds of people, including high-profile targets like Iftikhar Hussain’s son and several police officers, have lost their lives in bomb attacks by the militants. Taliban has claimed responsibility for most of the previous such attacks.
- Three die in Peshawar mosque blast (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Over 90 killed in Pakistan terror bombings, plane crash - Nov 05, 2010
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Four killed in Peshawar suicide blast - Jun 20, 2011
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Three killed in another blast in Pakistan - Jan 13, 2011
- Mosque bomb kills 4 in central Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan may launch anti-terror operation - Jun 08, 2012
- Terror in Pakistan province: 1,400 dead in 2011 - Jan 31, 2012
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Nine students among 19 killed in Pakistan blast - Sep 06, 2010
- Seven killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: afghan border, bomb attack, bomb attacks, bomb disposal, close proximity, critical condition, explosive device, flashpoint, hussain, information minister, militants, mosque in pakistan, mosques, peshawar city, peshawar mosque, profile targets, sensitive areas, state of war, time device, war on terror