FIA asks Pak court to declare Musharraf ‘absconder’ in Benazir murder caseApril 24th, 2011 - 12:43 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, April 24(ANI): Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has requested the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) hearing the Benazir Bhutto assassination case to declare former military ruler Pervez Musharraf an absconder, and order all his property to be seized.
Musharraf, during whose presidency former Prime Minister Benazir’s assassination took place in Rawalpindi on December 27, 2007, was not named an accused in the original FIR, but the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) later required him for investigation and named him in the case suspecting him of abetment/conspiracy, following which the court issued non-bailable arrest warrants thrice for him.
The notice, however, remained un-executed the third time as well, as no arrest of Musharraf, who lives in London, could come about.
When ATC judge Rana Nisar Ahmed asked the prosecutor about the progress in the implementation of the arrest warrant issued to Musharraf, the court was informed that according to the British Home Department, there was no agreement between Pakistan and the UK for handing over Musharraf to the country.
During the hearing at the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi on Saturday, the FIA told the court through an application that they had failed to contact Musharraf for a probe despite repeated efforts, and requested the court to declare him a proclaimed offender in the Benazir murder case, The News reports.
The court told the FIA to submit a complete report regarding the British Home Department’s refusal to receive Musharraf’s arrest warrant, so that the case could be moved forward.
The court adjourned the hearing until May 7. (ANI)
- Pak court directs FIA to implement Musharraf's arrest warrant in BB murder case - Apr 09, 2011
- Musharraf's interview presented in court in connection with Benazir assassination case - Apr 23, 2011
- Pakistan has not yet requested Britain for Musharraf's extradition: Cameron - Apr 06, 2011
- Benazir assassination case: Pak to seek Interpol help in netting Musharraf - Mar 27, 2011
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Arrest warrant against Musharraf reissued in Benazir case - Jun 11, 2011
- Pak probe agency gets 15 days to produce Musharraf in court in BB murder case - Mar 06, 2011
- Anti-Terrorism Court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf in Benazir murder case - Feb 12, 2011
- FIA sends Musharraf's arrest warrant to Pak High Commission in London - Mar 07, 2011
- Musharraf to be arrested on return to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2012
- Pak FIA told to produce Musharraf in court on March 26 - Mar 19, 2011
- Musharraf can't escape arrest in BB murder case for long: Experts - Apr 03, 2011
- UK refuses to hand over Musharraf to Pakistan in absence of extradition treaty - Apr 03, 2011
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Pakistan court declares Musharraf 'proclaimed offender' - May 30, 2011
Tags: absconder, ahmed, april 24, arrest warrant, benazir bhutto, conspiracy, federal investigation, fir, former prime minister, implementation, investigation agency, military ruler, murder case, pakistan, pervez musharraf, presidency, proclaimed offender, prosecutor, third time, warrants