Fergie has his plate full, can’t take each game as it comesMay 4th, 2011 - 5:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 4 (ANI): Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson cannot afford to take each game as it comes, for he has to consider not only tonight’s Champions League semi-final second leg against Schalke at Old Trafford but also the crunch visit of Premier League rivals Chelsea on Sunday.
Defeat at Arsenal at the weekend has given Fergie good reason for concern. He will have heard the whispers that United could finish the season empty-handed.
The wily old Scot needs to mix and match his warriors with the Blues to come and cannot take his eye off the ball against the Germans, either, just in case it opens the door.
Ferguson drew parallels with last season when United chucked the Premier League title away while losing to Bayern Munich in their Champions League quarterfinal. After being beaten 2-1 in the first leg in Germany their following league game was, ironically, at home to Chelsea - and they lost 2-1.
Their next domestic fixture was a trip to Blackburn, just as it is this time. United could only draw at Ewood and lost the title by a point.
Ferguson admitted those events were preying on his mind and affecting his planning.
The Sun quoted him as saying: “It’s easy to get complacent in modern life - there are many examples of it. I hope Manchester United don’t get complacent against Schalke.”
He added: “Our work ethic will be very high in order for us to qualify. It’s always been the case at this club that if we lose a game we recover. That’s the beauty of football.” (ANI)
- Ferguson asks Man U players to start firing up to grab title - Dec 05, 2010
- Ferguson warns Man U against complacency - May 04, 2011
- Fergie not to play Rooney against Schalke in order to destroy Chelsea - May 04, 2011
- Not worried about Arsenal, Chelsea, now we feel like champions: Fergie - Apr 24, 2011
- Ferguson backs Man U's 'collective unit' to overcome 'Ronaldo' factor - Apr 30, 2011
- Chelsea squad was not good enough this season: Ancelotti - Apr 20, 2011
- Man U may dump out of form Berbatov - Apr 13, 2010
- Fan who backed Premier League underdogs lands bet - Jan 03, 2012
- 'Chelsea finding bad spell hard to live with', says Drogba - Feb 09, 2011
- Chelsea posses best attack of Premier League: Ancelotti - Apr 02, 2011
- Ancelotti vows to dump Man U out of Champion League - Mar 19, 2011
- Brazalian ace Fabiano reveals his Manchester United dreams - Apr 23, 2010
- Fergie takes dig at Chelsea's easy start to Premier League season - Sep 24, 2010
- Ancelotti refuses to give up Chelsea's Premier League title hopes - Feb 07, 2011
- Bookies favour Manchester City to win EPL - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, bayern munich, champions league, crunch, ewood, germans, good reason, league game, league rivals, manchester united, old trafford, parallels, premier league, quarterfinal, schalke, scot, sir alex ferguson, warriors, whispers, work ethic