FBI team to visit Pakistan on Feb. 27 to grill Lakhvi, Zarar ShahFebruary 24th, 2009 - 12:19 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb 24 (ANI): A seven member FBI team is arriving here on February 27 to grill the Mumbai terror attacks masterminds arrested by Pakistani authorities in order to establish the authenticity of Pakistans findings and get further information from the 26/11 accused.
The FBI team will interact with officials of FIA and Interior Ministry to discuss the findings of their probe into the Mumbai attacks.
FBI Director Robert Mueller is also expected to visit Islamabad on March 4, The News reported.
The six persons to be interrogated by the FBI team include masterminds Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah; main facilitator of the attack Hamad Amin Sadiq; Abu Alqama alias Mazhar Iqbal; Javed Iqbal; and another unidentified suspect.
The authorities had accused eight people of being behind the attacks, but were able to arrest only six of them, while another two still remain at large.
The FBI team would question the six accused, who are being held in Pakistan and would also meet the investigators working on the case to discuss their findings so far, The Dawn quoted a well placed source, as saying.
The government, it is said, agreed to direct interrogation of the accused by FBI after intense international pressure.
There was exchange of information taking place between FBI and Pakistani investigators, but so far the government was reluctant to allow direct access of the foreign sleuths to the accused, the source said.
The US team is primarily interested in questioning the accused on the basis of the preliminary findings shared by Pakistan with India and the US.
The main objectives before the team are to establish the authenticity of Pakistani findings and get further information from the accused, the source said. (ANI)
- FBI to grill Lakhvi, Zarar Shah to establish authenticity of Pak findings - Feb 21, 2009
- Evidence filed against LeT's Lakhvi in 26/11 trial - Jan 30, 2010
- 26/11 probe: Pakistan rejects India's request to quiz Lakhvi - Mar 13, 2011
- 26/11: NIA files charges against Headley, eight others (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Judge absent, 26/11 case hearing adjourned - Feb 13, 2010
- India keen to send panel to Pak to question 26/11 suspects - Dec 23, 2010
- NIA files charges against Headley, eight others - Dec 24, 2011
- Pak court 'refuses to declare Kasab proclaimed offender' in Mumbai terror attacks - Feb 25, 2011
- Home ministry gives nod to charges against Headley (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Mumbai terrorist attacks accused seek open trial - May 23, 2010
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
- Court accepts 26/11 charges against Headley, 8 Pakistanis (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Voice samples of 26/11 accused to figure prominently in talks - Feb 18, 2010
- Voice samples of 26/11 accused to figure in India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- 26/11: Pakistani judicial panel begins visit to India (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: alias, amin, authenticity, direct access, director robert, facilitator, fbi, fbi director, fbi team, fia, intense international pressure, interior ministry, interrogation, javed iqbal, pakistani authorities, rehman, robert mueller, sadiq, sleuths, terror attacks