EU planning to hold summit with PakistanMay 10th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Prague (Czech Republic), May 10 (ANI): The European Union (EU) is planning to hold its first ever summit with Pakistan in June this year.
According to the sources privy to the Czech presidency, the EU wants to help strengthen the civilian government in Pakistan by showing strong support on the highest level.
Several different topics including the fight against terrorism, together with the war in Afghanistan , as well as enhanced cooperation in the field of the rule of law and trade issues are expected to come up for discussions in the summit,The Dawn reported.
European nations had expressed their willingness to reinforce links with Pakistan last year itself.
“The European Union stands ready to strengthen bilateral relations with Pakistan and to look for possible ways of increasing its financial assistance to the country,” a statement issued by EU foreign ministers stated then.
According to the European Commission, the Union has sent more than 500 million euros as financial aid to Pakistan since 1976.
It has also quadrupled its aid for the 2007-2010 period, with 50 million euros allocated so far.(ANI)
- EU plans its first summit with Pakistan - May 10, 2009
- EU pledges $140 mn to Jordan - May 21, 2012
- Infosys fears euro could collapse - Jul 12, 2012
- Eurozone to lend 150 bn euros to IMF - Dec 20, 2011
- EU must be more decisive to protect euro: Spain, France - Aug 31, 2012
- EU welcomes resumption of India-Pakistan talks - Jun 05, 2010
- IMF to explore options to combat global economic risks - Jan 18, 2012
- EU suspends financial aid to Hungary due to its budget deficit - Mar 14, 2012
- EU offers $28 mn aid to Syria - Jun 09, 2012
- EU vigilant against misuse of aid to Pakistan - Nov 04, 2009
- EU offers over $138 mn in aid to Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- France and Germany voice support for Greek reform and austerity program - Jun 18, 2011
- Russia may aid in European debt relief efforts - Dec 15, 2011
- EU to quadruple aid to Belarusian society - Feb 03, 2011
- EU to speed up bailout fund payments - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: 50 million, bilateral relations, civilian government, cooperation, dawn, european commission, european union, financial aid, financial assistance, foreign ministers, pakistan, prague czech republic, presidency, rule of law, summit, terrorism, war in afghanistan, willingness