Eleven beheaded in sectarian violence in PakistanJune 23rd, 2008 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 23 (DPA) At least 11 Shia Muslims were executed by a rival Sunni group in Pakistan’s Kurram agency, a volatile north-western tribal district, a tribal leader said Monday. The beheaded bodies of eight people from the Shia tribe Toori were found dumped in Arawali and three in the Sadda area of the district, tribal chief Ali Akbar told the Geo news television channel.
However, Kurram’s administrator, Azam Khan, confirmed only eight deaths. “According to our information, eight bodies have been found so far,” he told DPA.
All those killed were abducted Friday when a food convoy they were travelling with came under attack in the Sunni-dominated area of Pir Qayyum, about 30 km south-east of Kurram’s central town of Parachinar.
Four people, including a security guard, were killed in the ambush. Later, government forces, backed by helicopter gunships, chased the attackers, killing five of them.
Kurram has been in the grip of sectarian violence since last year. Scores of people have been killed, and hundreds of families have fled the violence to an area bordering Afghanistan.
- Eight people killed in suspected sectarian violence in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- 18 killed in Pakistan sectarian violence (Lead) - Jun 23, 2008
- Convoy attack kills seven in north-west Pakistan - Jun 19, 2008
- Suicide attack kills 11 in Pakistan, injures dozens (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2009
- At least 20 suspected militants killed in Pak tribal region - Dec 30, 2010
- 18 killed in militant attack in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2010
- 10 killed, 40 injured in Pakistan blast - Sep 10, 2012
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region freed following negotiations - Apr 02, 2011
- Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Pak Army blockades fiercely anti-Taliban tribe near Afghan border - Oct 27, 2010
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region - Apr 02, 2011
- Helicopter gunship attacks kill six militants in Pak's Kurram region - Mar 06, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Pakistani forces kill 10 Taliban militants - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: abducted, ali akbar, ambush, attackers, azam khan, beheaded bodies, dpa, food convoy, geo news, government forces, islamabad, kurram agency, news television, pir, qayyum, sectarian violence, security guard, shia muslims, television channel, tribal leader