Elections were a trap to kill Benazir, says Mustafa KharDecember 28th, 2007 - 4:08 pm ICT by admin
Lahore, Dec 28 (ANI): Former Punjab Governor Malik Ghulam Mustafa Khar, who has been a close aide of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, has condemned the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, and said that she had become the victim of an “election trap”.
Khar, who left the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) after Benazir announced that she would participate in the coming elections, said he had repeatedly asked Benazir to beware of threats to her life ever since she had returned to the country on October 18.
Khar said he knew all along that the invitation to the elections was a trap for Benazir, which was why he was harsh to her on the boycott issue.
He said he asked Benazir not to comment on the Lal Masjid issue because the extremists and their supporters could retaliate against her word against them.
Khar said Benazir had been unwise in speaking against them without thinking about the repercussions of her words.
Khar has, in many press conferences since Benazirs return, commented on her participation in the elections.
After the first suicide attack on her, hours after her arrival in the country, Khar held a press conference at the Lahore Press Club in which he had said that she could be targeted again.
He had also predicted that the next attack on her would be in Punjab.
The Daily Times quoted Khar as saying that the country was in grave danger and the politicians should unite against dictatorship, especially after Benazirs “great sacrifice”.
He expressed sorrow that the Bhutto family had been wiped off the political horizon “with a planned move”. (ANI)
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PM - Jun 25, 2011
- 'What's the big fuss over Khar's fashion?' - Jul 28, 2011
- 'What's the big fuss over Khar's fashion?' (Lead, Correcting para 10) - Jul 28, 2011
- Joining Imran's party? Forget it, says Fatima Bhutto - Jan 22, 2012
- 'Zia's remnants trying to malign Zardari, children by using Benazir banner': PPP - Nov 24, 2010
- Pakistan confers honour on Nusrat Bhutto - Oct 25, 2011
- The Simla accord -- 40 years later - Jul 01, 2012
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Women play vital role in Pakistan: Khar - Oct 19, 2011
- Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killing - Feb 07, 2011
- Musharraf to hold public meet via video Sunday - Apr 16, 2011
- Malik should've told Benazir not to look out, says top cop - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: benazir bhutto, bhutto family, boycott, dictatorship, extremists, first suicide, grave danger, invitation, lal masjid, mustafa khar, pakistan peoples party, political horizon, politicians, ppp, press conferences, repercussions, sacrifice, sorrow, suicide attack, zulfikar ali bhutto