Eight persons killed in ‘ethnic’ Karachi violenceMarch 23rd, 2011 - 11:28 am ICT by ANI
Karachi, Mar 23(ANI): At least eight people were killed in separate armed attacks in several parts of Karachi on Tuesday in the fresh wave of killings in the Pakistani metropolis, apparently on ethnic grounds.
City Police chief Saud Mirza said that the fresh spate of killings was “apparently” executed on ethnic grounds, adding that the killing of an activist in Pirabad sparked armed attacks elsewhere, claiming lives of labourers and roadside vendors.
“We have strengthened our position in the affected areas. But unfortunately it has been witnessed that unconfirmed reports on the broadcast media spread more panic and scare than the situation on ground warranted. I would appeal to the media to verify news reports before airing them,” the Dawn quoted Mirza, as saying.
He said the police and the Rangers were holding flag-marches in the affected parts of Orangi Town, and that facts were being gathered for action against the suspects.
Routine life in Orangi Town became paralysed with businesses staying closed and traffic off the roads after two fatal incidents of firing within a half-an-hour time span left five people dead and over a dozen others wounded.
Violence cut off Orangi Town from the rest of the city for a seventh time in recent months.
Local residents said that hundreds of industrial workers were unable to return to their houses in different blocks of Orangi Town because of a breakdown of law and order there.
“Isolated incidents of firing were also reported, in which a young man was killed near Banaras Chowk… A Rangers man also received bullet wounds during the frequent gunfire in the area,” said a Pirabad police official. (ANI)
- Karachi tense as target killings' toll rises to 37 - May 21, 2010
- Seven more gunned down in Karachi, taking death toll to 92 - Aug 06, 2010
- 16 killed, 24 wounded in Karachi target killings ahead of by-polls - Oct 17, 2010
- Karachi police arrest four suspected target killers - Oct 13, 2011
- Pak Rangers nab 150 suspects as Karachi door-to-door operation ends - Jan 18, 2011
- Shoot at sight orders in Karachi as violence toll mounts - Jul 08, 2011
- Journalist among 14 killed in Pakistan violence (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Nearly 300 arrested for Karachi target killings (Second Lead) - May 20, 2010
- Six killed in Karachi's day of violence - May 21, 2012
- Two more killed in Karachi violence - Jun 16, 2012
- Karachi violence death toll rises to sixteen in 24 hours - Mar 21, 2011
- Nine killed, many inured in Karachi violence - Jan 30, 2010
- 13 die in Karachi violence - Aug 20, 2010
- 30 killed in Karachi after MQM lawmaker's killing (Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Karachi on fire as death toll reaches 82 - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: banaras, broadcast media, bullet wounds, city police chief, ethnic grounds, fatal incidents, gunfire, half an hour, karachi violence, killings, labourers, law and order, metropolis, news reports, roadside vendors, routine life, saud, seventh time, spate, time span