Eight Pak athletes fail dope test, face two-year banAugust 15th, 2010 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug 15(ANI): Pakistan’s athletics arena appears to be crumbling as eight more athletes have failed to clear the dope test, and face a two-year ban.
“Muhammad Imran (Army) who is a national javelin throw champion and has been holding the title for the last three years while Sumeria Zahoor (Pakistan Steel), an Olympian athlete in 2004, are among the players who were tested positive for using banned substances,” The Daily Times quoted Muhammad Khalid Mehmood, Pakistan Athletic Federation (AFP) Secretary, as saying.
Other athletes to test positive have been identified as Rozina Shafqat, Nadia Nazir, Shagufta Noreen, Zara Razzak, Mohammad Waseem and Asif Javed.
They were also found guilty of using performance-enhancing drugs.
Mehmood also said that the medals awarded to these athletes would be withdrawn due to the charges.
Meanwhile, the AFP has constituted an inquiry committee to look into the scandal.
The committee will meet in Lahore on August 22 to decide the fate of the cheaters.
Earlier, eight athletes had tested positive in dope tests carried out during a national championship held in Islamabad.
According to reports, three male and five female athletes had tested positive for banned substances. (ANI)
- Seven Pak athletes get two-year ban for failing dope test - Aug 23, 2010
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- Doping, a common practice among Pak athletes: Ex-sprinter - Aug 13, 2010
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast provisionally suspended for doping - Jul 29, 2012
- Pakistan bans two Delhi CWG-bound female athletes over positive dope tests - Jun 29, 2010
- Two athletes, four wrestlers suspended after testing positive (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: asif, athletic federation, cheaters, dope test, dope tests, female athletes, imran, inquiry committee, javelin throw, khalid mehmood, lahore, mohammad, muhammad khalid, national championship, performance enhancing drugs, razzak, shafqat, shagufta, waseem, zahoor