Eight die as militants open fire in Pakistan park (Lead)May 6th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 6 (IANS) Eight people were killed and 15 injured when militants opened fire at people doing morning exercise at a park in Quetta in southwest Pakistan, police said.
Hamid Shakil, a police official, said the victims were in a neighbourhood park in Hazara town when they were shot at.
“They were taking morning exercise when the attackers came in two cars and indiscriminately opened fire on them,” Geo TV quoted Shakil as saying.
Xinhua quoted eyewitnesses as saying that the militants first fired indiscriminately at the people in the ground, then fired three rockets at them.
Friday morning’s attack comes within four days of the May 2 killing of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in the country’s northwest city of Abbottabad by US commandos.
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has pledged to avenge Osama’s killing by carrying out terror attacks in the country.
On Thursday evening, the police in the country’s northwestern Dera Ismail Khan district foiled an attempt by two suicide bombers to attack a checkpoint.
On Monday afternoon, soon after Osama’s killing, a blast in a mosque in the city of Charsadda in northwestern Pakistan killed four people and injured 11.
- 68 dead, 80 hurt in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 30 killed in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan - May 13, 2011
- 8 killed, 15 injured in shooting attack in western Pakistan - May 07, 2011
- Violent incidents in Pakistan since Osama's killing - May 23, 2011
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- 68 dead, 80 hurt in Pakistan twin bombings (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Four shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 25, 2012
- US consulate vehicles targeted in Peshawar blast, one dead (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Attempt to kill Zardari foiled: reports - Jun 05, 2011
- Hold joint session of parliament on Karachi attack: PML-N - May 26, 2011
- Taliban claims responsibility for Pakistan twin blasts - May 13, 2011
- Bomb attack strikes U.S. Consulate vehicles in Pakistan - May 20, 2011
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- Four dead in Peshawar suicide bombing (Lead, changing dateline) - May 25, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, charsadda, commandos, dera ismail khan, dera ismail khan district, eyewitnesses, geo tv, ismail khan, morning exercise, neighbourhood park, northwest city, northwestern pakistan, open fire, osama bin laden, police official, quetta, suicide bombers, terror attacks, two cars, xinhua