Ed Miliband likened to lizard for bizarre way he licks his lipsFebruary 4th, 2011 - 12:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 4 (ANI): Ed Miliband, leader of Britain’s opposition Labour Party, has been has been likened to a lizard because of his bizarre way of repeatedly licking his lips to stay calm when giving a speech.
Body language experts said that his ‘lizard tongue’ helps him focus on his words and appear self-assured and methodical at the despatch box.
They studied the actions of three political leaders and found Miliband to be the most pensive, Nick Clegg the most passionate, while David Cameron came out on top for being charismatic and engaging.
“Watching the videos of Miliband, we notice he moistens his lips with his tongue-we call this the ‘lizard tongue’. Research on this gesture suggests that when someone does this, it is a way of pacifying or giving oneself strokes,” the Daily Mail quoted Alex Grinder of the language firm Ascot Barclay Group, as saying.
“He is extremely cognitive, in other words he speaks very much from his head and thoughts. Ed stands with his weight on both feet and this helps to create a level of credibility, he is balanced and grounded,’ he said.
‘We see the hands coming together in prayer a lot and this gesture allows him to reconnect with his thoughts. When he does so his feet are centred, this balanced posture together with his light touch of the lectern suggests that he is confident,” he said.
However, analysis of Miliband’s first speech to the Labour Party Conference in 2010 revealed subtle differences in his body language when referring to certain MPs, which could be evidence of future problems for his leadership, added Grinder. (ANI)
- Miliband denied Christmas visit to Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2010
- Lib Dem leader Clegg's son asks him why he's so unpopular - Apr 07, 2011
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Ed Miliband says he's proud to be a 'socialist' - Nov 27, 2010
- Ed Miliband denies surgery is to make voice more appealing to voters - Apr 23, 2011
- UK Labour Party elects Ed Miliband as its new leader - Sep 25, 2010
- Mentally ill can now become MPs in Britain - Sep 17, 2012
- David Miliband named second sexiest Brit MP - Sep 21, 2010
- Ed Miliband 'thanks God' he is not married to mother of his children - Jan 31, 2011
- British MPs tweet, and how! - Aug 01, 2011
- Ed Miliband 'dated Andrew Marr's super-injunction lover' - May 02, 2011
- British bank chief criticized over bonus - Jan 28, 2012
- Did David Cameron give a fist bump to Andrew Lansley? - Feb 23, 2012
- David Miliband emerges as favourite to take over Labour leadership - Jul 21, 2010
- Pet lizard 'plucks' game ants off Android screen - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: ascot, barclay, body language, daily mail, david cameron, ed miliband, gesture, giving a speech, grinder, labour party conference, language experts, lectern, lizard, london feb, mps, nick clegg, opposition labour party, political leaders, posture, subtle differences