Earthquake jolts northwestern PakistanJanuary 4th, 2009 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Peshawar, Jan 4 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale jolted northwestern Pakistan Sunday morning, but there was no report of casualty or damage to property, according to a media report.The quake hit the North West Frontier Province bordering Afghanistan at around 12:50 a.m. with its epicentre lying in the Hindukush region, Pakistan’s Geo TV reported, citing a meteorological department official.
The quake was followed by several aftershocks, sparking panic among the people and forcing them to stay outdoors in the chilling cold conditions.
Besides the North West Frontier Province, the tremors were also felt in Punjab province and the northwestern Tribal regions.
People in Islamabad, Chitral, Lahore, FATA, the Kashmir region and Rawalpindi have also felt the tremor, the report said.
Three people were reportedly injured and admitted to a hospital in Peshawar, the report said.
Meanwhile, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported that a powerful quake measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale hit the Hindu Kush Region, some 225 km northeast from Afghan capital Kabul.
According to the Xinhua news agency, the tremor was felt in Kabul for some 30 seconds.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Quake hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north India (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 24, 2011
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits northwest Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Moderate intensity quake rocks Kashmir - Mar 31, 2012
- Earthquake rocks North India - Apr 04, 2011
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- 5.5 magnitude quake strikes Pakistan - Aug 27, 2011
- Earth Quake measuring 6.4 rocks Pak Punjab, NWFP - Oct 23, 2009
- Quake hits Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan - Nov 07, 2011
- Quake rocks Pakistan - Mar 12, 2012
- Mild quake in UP, tremors felt in Delhi - Mar 13, 2012