Don’t come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in DubaiJanuary 24th, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 24 (IANS) Pakistan spy chief Lt. Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha had a secret meeting with former president Pervez Musharraf in Dubai and told him not to come to the country, a media report said Tuesday.
“General Pasha…held a meeting with him (Musharraf) in Dubai and advised him not to return to the country as the situation is not conducive for his return,” a source told Dawn.
Sources said that after the meeting with the chief of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Musharraf called a meeting of his party to have a re-look at his decision to return to Pakistan.
The Senate Monday passed a resolution seeking Musharraf’s arrest on his return.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik has also said that the former military strongman would be arrested the day he arrives in the country.
Musharraf’s spokesperson Jan 19 said that he has postponed his arrival in view of the “emerging political developments”.
The spokesperson for Musharraf’s All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) said that the retired general has postponed his return on the advice of several senior party leaders.
Musharraf had been living in exile in Britain and the UAE since he resigned from his post in August 2008, fearing an impeachment by parliament.
He had earlier announced that he would return to Pakistan between Jan 27 and 30 to lead his party in the next general elections to be held in 2013.
Musharraf seized power in 1999 after he dismissed the elected government of Nawaz Sharif hours after he was sacked as the army chief.
An anti-terrorism court has issued arrest warrants in connection with the 2007 assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto. In October last year, a court issued a warrant for his arrest over the killing of Baloch leader Akbar Bugti in a military operation in August 2006.
Musharraf has denied all charges.
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Musharraf to be arrested on return to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2012
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Musharraf vows to return to Pak before next polls - Jan 11, 2011
- Talal Bugti announces bounty on Musharraf's head - Oct 10, 2010
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Musharraf aide seeks FIR against Bugti over 'billion rupee bounty on his head' bid - Oct 26, 2010
- Pakistan court seeks Musharraf for Bugti killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Musharraf to hold public meet via video Sunday - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistan taps Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Serious risks' force Musharraf to postpone return to Pakistan - Aug 16, 2010
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,