Disgraced Pak trio lose domestic cricket contracts after ICC ban

February 15th, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI  

Lahore, Feb 15(ANI): Pakistan’s largest bank has said it has decided not to renew the contracts of the tainted trio- Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir- who have been banned by the International Cricket Council on spot-fixing charges.

All three disgraced cricketers were on the payroll of the National Bank of Pakistan for playing for the institution’s cricket team in domestic tournaments, the Daily Times reports.

“The contracts of the three players expired on December 31, 2010 and the bank has decided not to renew the contracts,” NBP’s Sports Department head Iqbal Qasim said.

Salman was a prolific performer for the bank’s team for eight years, while Asif and Aamir had been employed for three years.

Earlier this month, Salman was banned for ten years with a five-year suspended ban, Asif for seven years with two-year suspended ban and Aamer for five years by an Anti-Corruption Tribunal.

All three players have hinted that they will appeal against their respective bans to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) based in Switzerland. They have 21 days from February 5- when the bans were imposed on them- to appeal against the tribunal’s verdict. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in South Asia |

Subscribe