Disabled Bengali woman’s marriage to be annulledAugust 17th, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 17 (IANS) A court in Britain has asked for the annulment of the “forced marriage” of a disabled Bengali-Muslim woman as she can barely speak and can do almost nothing for herself.
The woman - identified in court as DD - was married to her cousin from Bangladesh by her parents who are British citizens, the Daily Mail reported.
Her husband obtained a spousal visa and came to Britain where he shared the woman’s bed for months until social workers got information about the situation.
Police obtained a forced marriage protection order and the husband was warned that any sexual relations with the woman was likely to amount to a criminal offence.
The man was banned by a judge from the family home and from having any form of contact with the woman.
The woman’s parents asked the judge not to annul the marriage, saying that, in their culture, disabled children are often found spouses so that they can be provided for.
But the judge ruled that, under British law, the woman had no legal capacity “at the most basic level” either to marry or have sexual relations of any kind.
A marriage with an incapacitated person, unable to consent, is a forced marriage, the judge ruled.
The parents, said to be mistrustful of non-Bengalis, saw arranging their daughter’s marriage as part of their parental duty to ensure that she is cared for after they are no longer capable of looking after her themselves.
- Witherspoon attends parents' court hearing - May 12, 2012
- Moss, Armisen finalise their divorce - May 20, 2011
- Husband Has Marriage Annulled After Wife Thinks of Other Men - Nov 13, 2010
- Women achievers spotlight Haryana's irony (Haryana Newsletter) - May 11, 2012
- Roman court annuls marriage as wife 'thought about having an affair' - Nov 10, 2010
- Rajasthan woman approaches court to annul child marriage - Jun 12, 2012
- Rape not possible in marriage: Muslim cleric - Oct 14, 2010
- Court overturns Church's annulment of 20-year marriage - Jan 21, 2011
- Man fined for depriving wife of sex - Sep 07, 2011
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian couple challenges British immigration law - Jul 27, 2011
- British judge annuls forced Indian marriage - Oct 21, 2008
- Anti 'honour-based' marriage law sought in New Zealand - Jan 29, 2011
- 10-year-old Jewish girl allowed to embrace Christianity - Aug 03, 2012
- British woman's Indian hubby cannot enter country: Court - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: annulment, bangladesh, bengali, bengalis, british citizens, cousin, criminal offence, daily mail, dd, disabled children, london, marriage, muslim woman, parental duty, parents, sexual relations, social workers, spousal visa