Detained cops name ISI, MI officers in Benazir Bhutto assassination caseDecember 24th, 2010 - 3:57 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Dec 24 (ANI): The investigation into former Pakistan prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s assassination is likely to be widened to unveil some faces who have so far been out of the picture, after two former police officers who were arrested for their alleged involvement in the murder case, told investigators that some intelligence officials were in contact with them on December 27, 2007.
Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali told reporters that the arrested duo- former Rawalpindi city police chief Saud Aziz and SP Khurram Shahzad- had informed the investigators that four officers of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Military Intelligence (MI) had been in contact with them.
Their names could not be disclosed as of now, as it was yet to be ascertained in what context they were in contact with the accused, he added.
However, if concrete evidence was found against the intelligence officers, they would be included in the investigation, the paper said.
Meanwhile, the Federal Investigation Agency obtained six days’ physical custody of the arrested officers to recover the cellphones they were using on the day Bhutto was murdered in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi’s Liaquat Bagh.
The FIA investigators said in the court that forensic tests of the cellphones were needed to ascertain who had been in contact with the two police officers on the day of Bhutto’s assassination.
Advocate Zulfiqar said that the phone data would help the investigators to know if other elements were also involved in the murder.
He said that the police officers had given divergent statements about the cell phones and the numbers used by them three years ago, initially saying that they had lost their phones and later claiming that their mobiles had broken up. (ANI)
- Benazir Bhutto assassination probe should have started from Musharraf: Aitzaz Ahsan - Dec 25, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto assassination probe complete: Malik - Dec 28, 2010
- Benazir murder probe 'futile' exercise as culprits hold powerful positions: Pir Pagara - Dec 25, 2010
- Benazir assassination probe: Pak ATC extends remand of detained police duo - Jan 22, 2011
- Cop accused of 'intentionally' decreasing Benazir's security during assassination rally - Jan 14, 2011
- Benazir murder probe: No clue about cell phones used by cop on December 27, 2007 - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Musharraf named as accused in Bhutto's assassination case - Feb 07, 2011
- Musharraf sent questionnaire on Benazir Bhutto murder - Dec 24, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto murder: Musharraf sent questionnaire (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Zardari stopped Pak authorities from conducting autopsy on Benazir's body' - Dec 23, 2010
- Danger for Musharraf if proceedings commenced against him in Benazir murder case - Feb 11, 2011
- Pak ATC orders arrest of two police officers in Benazir assassination case - Dec 05, 2010
- Former Rawalpindi police officers released on bail in Benazir assassination case - Apr 08, 2011
- Pak ATC grants bail to two police officers in Benazir assassination case - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: benazir bhutto, bomb attack, city police chief, concrete evidence, dec 24, federal investigation, forensic tests, intelligence officers, intelligence officials, inter services, investigation agency, khurram, liaquat bagh, military intelligence, murder case, physical custody, public prosecutor, saud, shahzad, zulfiqar