Democracy is best revenge, says Bilawal Bhutto ZardariDecember 30th, 2007 - 10:06 pm ICT by admin
Larkana, Dec 30 (ANI): The 19-year-old son of slain former Pakistan premier Benazir Bhutto, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, on Sunday was elected as the Chairman of Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) by the members of the Central Executive Committee of the party at a meeting which was held at Bhutto’s parental Naudero House in Larkana.
Senior Vice-Chairman of the party Makhdoom Amin Fahim, who presided over today’s meeting, announced this at a press conference after the marathon meeting that went for over five hours.
Fahim said that during the meeting Bilawal read out his mother’s will that was signed on October 16, two days before she returned to Pakistan ending her self-exile.
“In the will, Benazir had stated that if she dies then her husband Asif Ali Zardari would lead the party,” but during today’s meeting Zardari said that he would not take the responsibility and offered the post to his son Bilawal, which was endorsed by everyone,” Fahim told reporters here.
Bilawal in his first press conference as the Chairman of the party thanked the CEC members and said that he remained committed to the federation of Pakistan.
“Democracy is best revenge,” Bilawal said and added that the PPP would work with a “renewed vigour”.
Later in the press conference Zardari, who has been appointed as the co-chairman of the party, said, “Benazir ki tasveer Bilawal (Benazir’s image is Bilawal),” that led to party workers shout slogans in praise of Benazir and her son Bilawal.
The party constitution, however, states that the Chairman of the party must be at least 22 years old.
Earlier in the day, PPP spokesperson Sherry Rehman had said that Bilawal is not keen to take up the post and wants to pursue his studies at the Oxford University.
Born on September 21, 1988, Bilawal did his schooling from Rashid School for Boys in Dubai and is presently doing his A-level at the Oxford University.
He is said to have acquired a black belt in the martial art of Taekwondo and is fond of horse riding. (ANI)
- Bilawal's Facebook fans discuss India trip - Apr 08, 2012
- 'Keen learner' Bilawal Bhutto not to jump headfirst into Pak politics - May 01, 2011
- Rahul accepts Bilawal's invite to visit Pakistan - Apr 08, 2012
- Aseefa to pick up slain mother's flag: Zardari - Dec 28, 2011
- Bilawal Bhutto 'secretly' studying law in Britain - Jul 06, 2012
- Rahul, Bilawal have much to share - Apr 07, 2012
- Bilawal strikes a chord with open body language - Apr 08, 2012
- Bilawal to take up 'some political responsibility' in September: Zardari - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Bilawal to take up political responsibility in September' - Apr 28, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Son Bilawal to accompany Zardari on India trip - Apr 07, 2012
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- Bilawal wants 50 percent women in Pakistani parliament - May 23, 2012
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: 22 years, amin, benazir bhutto, best revenge, black belt, cec members, central executive committee, co chairman, fahim, martial art, oxford university, party constitution, ppp, rashid school for boys, self exile, sherry rehman, slogans, vice chairman, vigour, zardari