Decision on Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Wednesday?November 25th, 2008 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 25 (IANS) A decision on Sarabjit Singh, the Indian prisoner on death row in a Pakistani jail, is likely Wednesday, an official here indicated Tuesday, without going into specifics.Sarabjit’s case came up for discussion as the home secretaries of Pakistan and India began their fifth round of talks Tuesday to review the visa regime among other issues. The talks will conclude Wednesday.
“People will not be disappointed by our decision,” the official replied cryptically when asked whether Sarabjit will be released.
Sarabjit’s mercy petition is pending with the president. The Lahore High Court sentenced him to death for his involvement in bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan and the Supreme Court upheld the decision.
Interior Secretary Kamal Shah is leading the Pakistani side at the talks, while Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta is leading the Indian delegation.
The talks seek to strengthen the efforts by both countries to discuss issues relating to terrorism, counterfeit currency, drug trafficking, exchange of prisoners and the visa regime.
Officials here said that both the sides took up the three-point agenda Tuesday - the immediate release of prisoners, the joint mechanism on cross border terrorism and new mechanism on information sharing.
“They will also talk on other issues tomorrow (Wednesday),” an official said.
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- 26/11 ghosts cast shadow on India-Pakistan talks - Jul 02, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- India, Pakistan hold talks, focus on Jindal disclosures (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- India, Pakistan set to sign liberal visa pact - May 23, 2012