Death toll rises to 140 in Naina Devi temple stampede in Himachal (Update)August 3rd, 2008 - 10:05 pm ICT by ANI
Shimla, August 3 (ANI): The death toll in Naina Devi temple stamped in Bilaspur District of Himachal Pradesh has risen to 140.
The incident took place around 10:00 a.m. after a railing broke on the crowd of devotees converged near the temple premises.
Located on a hill, the Nainadevi temple is visited by thousands of people every month.
The sudden fall of the railing led to many of the devotees falling into the adjoining gorge. This caused panic among the devotees and they started running for life and this led to many of them falling at each other causing injuries to others.
The death toll is expected to rise further as thousands of devotees had gathered at the Naina Devi temple, located about 160 kilometresdevi stamped
from the state capital, on the auspicious occasion of the ten-day Sharavan Ashtami fair that began on Saturday.
The injured have been rushed to the various hospitals. More details are awaited. (ANI)
- 80 feared dead, over 100 injured at Naina Devi temple stampede in Himachal - Aug 03, 2008
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012
- Thousands of devotees throng Himachal temples - Sep 28, 2011
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- Over 50 killed, 300 injured in temple stampede (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 03, 2008
- Himachal to develop religious tourism - Jul 05, 2011
- Seven killed in temple stampede in Himachal - Aug 03, 2008
- Heli-taxi service planned to Himachal temple - Jul 03, 2012
- Hindu and Sikh shrines on Punjab-HP border to be linked - Jul 18, 2012
- Perform virtual prayers at Himachal's Naina Devi temple - Mar 13, 2011
- Three pilgrims killed in Himachal accident - Feb 28, 2010
- 'Speed up ropeway construction between shrines' - May 01, 2010
- 123 killed in temple stampede in Himachal (Third Lead) - Aug 03, 2008
- Himachal temples to melt holy gold - Apr 12, 2011
- Log on, perform prayers online! - Mar 18, 2012