Deal between Benazir Bhutto-Musharraf mediated by US, claims PML-Q leaderMarch 8th, 2009 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore,Mar.8 (ANI): The deal between the assassinated Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and the then President General Pervez Musharraf to discontinue the military regime and restore democracy in the country was mediated by the United States through the then Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) leader General Mushahid Hussain said.
Hussain claimed that the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) decided against contesting the presidential election under the Musharrafs autocratic rule due to this deal.
He also said that the United States had faith in the current leadership of the country, and in the army and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
Commenting on the current political chaos in Pakistan, Hussain refuted speculations of a coup.
I do not foresee dissolution of the assemblies and imposition of martial law in Pakistan, The Daily Times quoted Hussain, as saying. (ANI)
- Zardari, Musharraf helped each other through secret deal: PML-Q - May 06, 2010
- One call from Saudi Arabia would seal Musharraf trial seekers' mouth: PML-Q - Sep 02, 2009
- Pakistan on the brink of economic collapse, says PML-Q - Jan 22, 2011
- Pak NA body categorically rejects bill implying country's sovereignty needs protection - Jan 22, 2011
- Musharraf selects seat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to contest poll - Nov 22, 2010
- Musharraf has 'lost his senses' after losing dictatorship: Raja Riaz - Oct 10, 2010
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- India concerned at Pakistan coup buzz, but looks at big picture - Nov 20, 2011
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Musharraf to join 'practical politics' soon, says close aide - Apr 22, 2010
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
- PML-Q opposes UN commission probe into Benazir's assassination - Sep 30, 2009
- Nawaz terms PML-Q supporters of dictators, rules out alliance - Feb 22, 2011
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
Tags: autocratic rule, benazir bhutto, condoleezza rice, dissolution, imposition, inter services, isi, martial law, military regime, mushahid hussain, pakistan muslim league, pakistan peoples party, pervez musharraf, political chaos, ppp, president general, presidential election, secretary of state condoleezza rice, speculations, state condoleezza rice