Dalai Lama appeals for no protests when Olympic torch passes through TibetMay 22nd, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by admin
London, May 22 (ANI): The spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism, the Dalai Lama, has asked the Tibetans to stop protesting against the Olympic torch relay and refrain from demonstrating when the symbol of the games passes through their homeland.
The Dalai Lama on a visit to London on Wednesday urged Tibetans to stop protests against the Olympic torch.
I appeal particularly inside Tibet, people should not disturb the torch when it visits, The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
I made clear right from the beginning, we fully support the Olympic games. The Olympic torch is part of that and we must respect it, he added.
The Olympic torch will arrive in Tibet on June 19 and be carried through capital, Lhasa, en route to Beijing.
When the torch passed through London, Paris and San Francisco, exiled Tibetans seized the chance to protest against Chinas occupation of their homeland.
Earlier, the Dalai Lamas representatives met Chinese officials. Further negotiations will take place in June. If these succeed, the Dalai Lama said he would be willing to attend the Beijing Olympics.
If the situation in Tibet improves and if there is some progress to a long term solution, then I am willing to go, if the invitation comes, he said.
He added that Chinas human rights record in Tibet was worse than during his flight into exile in 1959. (ANI)
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Find 'middle way' for Tibet solution: Sangay - Nov 27, 2011
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- Resume talks, Tibetan exiles urge China - Apr 30, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama not inciting self-immolations' - Mar 26, 2012
- China must probe self-immolation cause: Dalai Lama - Jun 29, 2012
- China to fight Dalai Lama's 'separatism' - Jul 19, 2011
- Tibet's unique culture in peril, says PM-in-exile - Oct 19, 2011
- Exiled Tibetans ask China to stop repressive policy - Nov 04, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- Two more self-immolations in Tibet - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, chinese officials, dalai lama, dalai lama appeals, dalai lamas, exile, invitation, london paris, long term solution, negotiations, olympic games, olympic torch relay, olympics, protests, refrain from, right from the beginning, spiritual leader, tibet, tibetan buddhism, tibetans