D. Purandeswari inaugurates IIT, RajasthanAugust 2nd, 2008 - 11:11 pm ICT by ANI
Kanpur, August 2 (ANI): Minister of State for Higher Education D. Purandeswari on Saturday inaugurated IIT, Rajasthan at the Campus of IIT, Kanpur today.
In her address Prandeswari said the idea of IIT as an institution of excellence has long been embedded the consciousness of Indias educated classes.
She also said: The U.S. television network CBS recently featured the IITs in its widely watched news programme, 60 Minutes, as the most important university youve ever heard of. The shows co-host, Leslie Stahl, observed: Put Harvard, MIT and Princeton together and you begin to get an idea of the status of this school in India.
She further added that IITs have enjoyed the three basic freedoms of an educational institution: freedom to choose whom to teach, who will teach, and what to teach. The IITs also enjoy full cost budgetary support. The IITs remain successful so long as these amenities continue.
The Minister also said: In the past few years, IITs have been ranked as the top educational institutions in India and Asia by national and international magazines. However, the only objective ranking of top 500 universities worldwide by research output has been done by Professor Nian Cai Liu and his colleagues at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. In this list, the only institutions to make it from India are the IITs and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. This is indeed, a matter of great pride.
She has invited all the academic community to come forward to give suggestions, proposals for solving the problem of increasing quantity with quality in higher education.
Secretary, Higher Education R.P. Agarwal, Director, IIT, Kanpur and Minister of Education, Rajasthan, Prof. Sanjay Dhande, have attended the occasion. (ANI)
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- IIT Rajasthan opens with 112 students - Aug 02, 2008
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- Centre plans to attract young talent to teaching - Mar 12, 2010
- East Asian nations need to cooperate on education: India (With Images) - Jul 05, 2012
- Two new IITs launched, permanent campus awaited(Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 02, 2008
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian higher education leadership programme with Yale University - Oct 14, 2011
- Learn humility, PM tells IITians - Jul 03, 2010
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- IIT-Kanpur plans presence in Bangalore, US - Jun 19, 2010
- More IITs may go against common entrance test - Jun 09, 2012
- Indians second-most curious about education: Study - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 60 minutes, academic community, budgetary support, co host, education secretary, educational institutions in india, iit kanpur, important university, indian institute of science, international magazines, jiao tong university, leslie stahl, minister of education, nian, purandeswari, quality in higher education, shanghai jiao tong, shanghai jiao tong university, top 500 universities, university in china