Crows in Malaysia steal panties, bras to make nestsMarch 29th, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Mar 29 (ANI): When a number of panties and bras left to dry outside several homes in Malaysia disappeared, the initial suspicion fell on a sexual predator, until it was discovered that crows had been stealing them to build their nests.
Residents in Ulu Tiram had been complaining that someone was getting cheap thrills from stealing the garments, but were surprised to find that it had been crows.
The birds also steal scraps of food and leave their droppings all over the neighbourhood in several housing and business areas in the town.
Resident Simon Lee, 38, claimed that more than 20 people in his neighbourhood had lost their undergarments in the last two months. He said that initially the problem was not that serious.
“But now, thousands of crows have made their homes in the trees that line the roads here,” the Star Online quoted him as saying.
Another resident, Goh Sui Moi, 46, said she had to wash her car daily because of the droppings from the thousands of crows that also make a lot of noise when they converge.
Foodstall trader Tan Kim Moi, 52, said that the crows steal fish balls, vegetables, prawns and even bits of pork that she uses in her dishes, and that one of her customers was pecked by a bird that stayed put despite efforts to chase it away.
Taman Puteri Wangsa residents’ association secretary Kee Yong Kiang said he had received more than 50 reports on the crow problem.
He said their complaints were forwarded to the Johor Baru Tengah Municipal Council, which sent a team to shoot the crows over the weekend.
Brian Tan, the special aide to Puteri Wangsa state assemblyman Datuk Abdul Halim Suleiman, said that the shooting operation, which also included Rela members, netted 181 crows.
He said he was working with the local council to address the problem. (ANI)
- Malay man with fetish for panties and bras nabbed by neighbours! - Sep 24, 2009
- Deshmukh died of cardiac failure: Doctor - Aug 14, 2012
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- 12 South Indians lose jobs in Malaysia - Dec 11, 2008
- Bird Flu killing crows in Jharkhand - Dec 15, 2011
- Crows are dying in Bihar from bird flu - Feb 18, 2012
- Migrant workers not being paid wages by Malaysian bosses - Jun 27, 2010
- New Caledonia Crows Go To 'Tool- School' To Learn How To Make Tools - Oct 27, 2010
- Crows are smart enough to think and learn - Dec 15, 2011
- Sparrow decline indicates serious environmental change: Experts - May 09, 2012
- Bihar SOS to centre on tackling bird flu - Mar 09, 2012
- Sikkimese killed in US massacre was nursing student - Apr 03, 2012
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- 12 Indians lose jobs, have no money to return home - Dec 11, 2008
- Clever crows go to parents' 'tool school' - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: abdul halim, association secretary, business areas, cheap thrills, crows, fish balls, initial suspicion, johor baru, kiang, last two months, local council, neighbourhood, prawns, residents association, sexual predator, simon lee, state assemblyman, suleiman, tiram, undergarments