Court martial of Indian general gets Pakistan chief justice thinkingJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 29 (IANS) Citing the example of a serving Indian Army general who was court-martialled, Pakistan Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry has wondered “why don’t a few top guns in our country get booked for their wrongdoings”, and added, “It is high time that some heads roll”.Justice Chaudhry made the observation while hearing the case of an alleged staged shootout last year in which a boy was killed.
Express Tribune reported that the chief justice took a cue from the court martial of a serving general in India and said Friday that those responsible will be brought to book.
“Why don’t a few top guns in our country get booked for their wrong doings,” Justice Chaudhry asked during hearing the case.
“It’s high time that some heads roll,” he was quoted as saying.
India’s Lt Gen P.K. Rath was found guilty on three counts in the scam in which a no-objection certificate (NOC) was issued to a private realtor to transfer a 70-acre plot of land adjacent to the Sukna military station in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district.
The police inquiry report said that 16 low ranking Pakistani police officials were sacked in connection with the staged shootout case.
These include four inspectors, five sub-inspectors, one assistant sub-inspector and five constables. An inspector was also forced to retire.
- Pak should follow India's example in booking "top guns" for wrongdoings: Pak CJ - Jan 29, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Court martial to reassemble Monday - Jul 11, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Court martial reassembles - Jul 11, 2011
- Sukna scam: Court martialled Rath loses rank - Jan 22, 2011
- Army court's verdict in Sukna land scam soon - Jan 18, 2011
- Avadesh Prakesh senior-most officer to be dismissed from Army (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Army court convicts senior general in Sukna land scam (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Sukna land scam: army court's verdict likely Friday - Jul 14, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Rath challenges revision order (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- The genesis of the Sukna land scam (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Army court finds Lt. Gen. Rath guilty in Sukna land scam - Jan 21, 2011
- Sukna scam: Rath questions revision order - Jul 13, 2011
- Court-martial against army general in Sukna land scam (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Sukna scam: Court martialled general's kin to fight for justice - Jan 23, 2011
- Sacked army officer to challenge chief's decision - May 29, 2012
Tags: acre plot, army general, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, constables, darjeeling district, high time, iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, indian army, inquiry report, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, military station, no objection certificate, no objection certificate noc, pakistani police, plot of land, police inquiry, police officials, report said that, top guns, west bengal