‘Courageous’ Salmaan Taseer’s sacrifice will not go waste: ZardariJanuary 7th, 2011 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jan 7(ANI): Slain Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer was courageous enough to stand up to bigots and fanatics in Pakistan, and his sacrifice will not go waste, President Asif Ali Zardari has said.
On Tuesday, Taseer was assassinated by Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, one of his own elite security force protectors, who opened fire on him because of the governor’s support for the release of Pakistani-Christian woman Asia Bibi, who has been sentenced to death on blasphemy charges.
Zardari telephoned Taseer’s widow, and expressed his sorrow and grief over the slain governor’s murder, the Daily Times reported.
According to PPP sources, President Zardari assured Amna Taseer that “the sacrifice of Salmaan Taseer would not go waste and justice would be provided to her family”.
The president also paid tributes to Taseer for his services for the party, calling him an asset for the party and a true follower of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto in treading their path to martyrdom, sources added.”Taseer’s courage and determination in espousing the cause of the marginalised sections of society and readiness to pay the highest price for it will continue to inspire many,” President Zardari said.
“Few possess the courage of Salmaan Taseer in standing up to bigots and fanatics, and fewer still the readiness to embrace martyrdom for it,” he added.
The president expressed the hope that the elements behind the crime would be exposed and punished according to law.
According to party sources, Amna Taseer thanked Zardari, saying that his words were a source of great strength in this hour of tragedy. (ANI)
- PPP will honour Salmaan Taseer's memory by continuing his mission: Bilawal Bhutto - Jan 07, 2011
- Minorities committee asks Pak Govt. to pursue Taseer murder case 'properly' - Feb 20, 2011
- Taseer's assassin should be punished only for violating law, not murder: Qari Hanif - Feb 15, 2011
- Pak Court dismisses plea seeking quashing of FIR, ATC trial against Taseer's assassin - Jan 21, 2011
- Bhatti calls Taseer's assassination an act to 'sabotage peace and interfaith harmony' - Jan 10, 2011
- Pak Govt to protect minorities at all costs: Zardari - Jan 21, 2011
- Full security will be provided to Salmaan Taseer's family: Shahbaz Sharif - Jan 10, 2011
- Three-day mourning in Pakistan for Punjab governor - Jan 04, 2011
- Whole nation will besiege Pak Parliament if Taseer's assassin given death sentence: ST - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Pakistan needs courage from all its leaders following Taseer's killing' - Jan 06, 2011
- Qadri killed Pak Punjab Governor in his own capacity, says head of probe team - Feb 24, 2011
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's birth anniversary programmes cancelled - Jan 05, 2011
- 'Heroic' Salmaan Taseer lived and died for secular Pakistan, says daughter - Jan 10, 2011
- US remains committed to help Pak Govt "root out violent extremism": Gibbs - Jan 06, 2011
- Taseer assassination case to be heard in-camera to prevent earlier media fiasco - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, benazir bhutto, bibi, bigots, blasphemy, christian woman, elite security, grief, jan 7, lahore, martyrdom, mumtaz, party sources, sacrifice, salmaan, security force, sorrow, tributes, true follower, zulfikar ali bhutto