Convoy attack kills seven in north-west PakistanJune 19th, 2008 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 19 (DPA) At least seven people were killed and 28 injured when a food supply convoy came under attack in Pakistan’s tribal district of Kurram, which has been in the grip of growing sectarian violence, officials said. Fierce sectarian clashes between Sunni and Shia Muslims in Kurram left more than 200 people dead in April.
The convoy of more the two dozen trucks escorted by paramilitary troops was ambushed in Sunni dominated area of Pir Qayyum, located some 30 km south-east of Kurram’s central town of Parachinar.
“Armed men fired volleys from top of hillocks targeting the truck drivers in order to halt the movement of the vehicles,” Kurram’s deputy administrator Atta-ur-Rehman told DPA over the phone.
Five drivers were fatally wounded in the assault that triggered heavy gunfight between the attackers and the escorting soldiers.
Military’s helicopter gunships also engaged the attackers, forcing them to retreat.
Bodies of two children believed to have been killed in crossfire were also recovered from the scene of action. However, no information was available about casualties suffered by the attacking tribesmen.
Rehman said 10 trucks sped along the track towards Parachinar while 12 stranded vehicles carrying food items were set on fire by the attackers. The trucks were transporting food items to Parachinar that has a concentration of Shia Muslims.
Tension has been running high in the Kurram district since last year and scores of people have been killed in sectarian violence that also forced hundreds of families to flee the area bordering Afghanistan.
- Eight people killed in suspected sectarian violence in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- 10 abducted, six vehicles torched in Pakistan - Jul 18, 2011
- 18 killed in militant attack in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2010
- Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Pakistan mosque blast toll reaches 36 - Feb 18, 2012
- 14 dead in Pakistan violence (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- Pakistani forces kill 10 Taliban militants - Nov 30, 2009
- Four people shot dead in Pakistan - Sep 01, 2011
- Eleven beheaded in sectarian violence in Pakistan - Jun 23, 2008
- 22 Shias killed in Iraq bus attack - Sep 13, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Pak Army blockades fiercely anti-Taliban tribe near Afghan border - Oct 27, 2010
- 10 killed in Pak roadside bomb blast - Sep 09, 2010
- Militants gun down 18 bus passengers in Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: armed men, attackers, convoy attack, deputy administrator, dozen trucks, food items, food supply, gunfight, hillocks, kurram district, parachinar, paramilitary troops, pir, sectarian clashes, sectarian violence, sunni and shia, sunni and shia muslims, tribesmen, truck drivers, west pakistan