Conman with Catch Me If You Can moves gets caughtOctober 5th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 5 (ANI): International conman, Anthony De Clerck, who has been living life like the fraudster in the Hollywood movie Catch Me If You Can, was arrested on October 4 after cheating his victims out of hundred of thousands of pounds.
De Clerck, 39, a Belgian, had passed himself off as a US spook, a lawyer in Paris, a businessman in Monaco, a company manager in Brussels and a Jewish nobleman, reports the Daily Express.
He even admitted, at York Crown Court, that he had conned his girlfriend into loaning him thousands of pounds, and even committed deception.
The fictitious background he led, even made him pervert the course of justice when he gave police a false name and date of birth when arrested at her home in Whitby, North Yorkshire, for which he was jailed for two and a half years.
The name De Clerck had used, when meeting the woman on holiday in Italy in 2004, was Rudiger Sloot, the court revealed.
Cumbria Police investigating an alleged hotel fraud had also arrested the conman last March, and when they checked with Interpol they discovered he had many aliases.
Chris Albert Vermeersch and alleged nobleman Peter van Damme were some of the names he had used.
De Clerck is now still under investigation over the disappearance of 100,000 pounds from the accounts of Graythwaite Manor Hotel in the Lake District, where he had worked as a chef and manager. (ANI)
- Joran van der Sloot admits extortion of Holloway family - Sep 06, 2010
- Did FBI pay for Joran van der Sloot sting operation? - Jun 10, 2010
- Joran van der Sloot sues his lawyer - Jul 06, 2010
- Joran Van Der Sloot Police Interrogation Starts In Peru - Jun 07, 2010
- Joran Van Der Sloot Charged In Peru Murder Case - Jun 03, 2010
- Conman posing as Prince Harry steals from Diana charity - Dec 06, 2010
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot detained in Central Chile - Jun 04, 2010
- Jean-Claude Van Damme admits to affair with Kylie Minogue - Aug 14, 2012
- FBI Denies Making Payment To Joran Van Der Sloot - Jun 10, 2010
- Hardcore fan spooks Harry Potter star Tom Felton with adoption scheme - Sep 04, 2010
- Van der Sloot alleges that a thief killed the Peruvian woman - Jun 14, 2010
- Conmen held in Delhi for bid to dupe northeast legislators - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Bheja Fry 2' cruises the fun, but too long (IANS Movie Review - Ratng: ***) - Jun 17, 2011
- Conman says he had sex with over 2,500 women - Jan 04, 2011
- Joran Van Der Sloot Brags He Has Received Marriage Offers in Prison - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: businessman, catch me if you can, crown court, date of birth, de clerck, disappearance, false name, fraudster, holiday in italy, lake district, lawyer in paris, manor hotel, nobleman, oct 5, pervert, two and a half years, van damme, vermeersch, whitby north yorkshire, yorkshire