Commonwealth to decide Pakistan’s membership on May 12April 18th, 2008 - 10:23 am ICT by admin
London, April 18 (IANS) Expelled for flouting democratic norms, Pakistan’s case for membership of the Commonwealth will be reviewed at a high-powered meeting in London next month, the Commonwealth said. The Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG), which addresses serious or persistent violations of the Commonwealth’s values and principles, will meet in London May 12 to discuss Pakistan and Fiji.
The CMAG will review the suspension of Pakistan and consider political developments in Fiji.
Pakistan was suspended from the Commonwealth in November last year after President Pervez Musharraf imposed emergency rule. CMAG had agreed to review progress in Pakistan after the conduct of scheduled elections, which took place Feb 18.
Fiji was suspended from the Commonwealth in December 2006 following a military coup.
“The Commonwealth is closely monitoring progress towards elections, which would be required before the suspension can be lifted,” a Commonwealth statement said Thursday.
The CMAG is composed of the foreign ministers of nine Commonwealth countries, which currently are Britain, Ghana, Malaysia, Namibia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Lucia, Sri Lanka and Uganda.
- Pakistan set to be readmitted to Commonwealth - May 12, 2008
- Final medals tally of Commonwealth Games - Oct 15, 2010
- Mood sours as CHOGM stalls rights monitor move - Oct 29, 2011
- CWG medals tally - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Medals Tally - Oct 13, 2010
- Medals Tally, Day 10 - Oct 14, 2010
- CWG Medals table - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG medals tally, eighth day - Oct 12, 2010
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- CWG Medals tally, Day Five - Oct 09, 2010
- Fiji faces expulsion from Commonwealth - Apr 14, 2009
- Commonwealth to intervene in democracy subversion, rights monitor stalled - Oct 28, 2011
- Games Organising Committee to support Fiji's cause - Oct 08, 2009
- Continent-wise countries at the Delhi Commonwealth Games - Oct 03, 2010
- Maldives proposes presidential polls in 2013 - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: cmag, commonwealth countries, commonwealth statement, democratic norms, elections, emergency rule, foreign ministers, ghana, military coup, ministerial action group, namibia, pakistan, papua new guinea, persistent violations, pervez musharraf, place feb, political developments, sri lanka, st lucia, uganda