Colombia urges leftist guerrillas to free hostagesMay 16th, 2008 - 2:31 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, May 16 (Xinhua) Colombian President Alvaro Uribe has urged the country’s largest leftist guerrilla group to free former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and other hostages in its captivity ahead of an European Union-Latin American summit in Peru. “Hopefully, before the summit begins, the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) announce the release of Ingrid Betancourt and other captives,” Uribe told journalists at a press conference.
However, the government would keep the option of using military forces open, if they (FARC) do not release the hostages, he said.
Betancourt’s family fiercely opposed the use of military forces as it might lead the rebels to kill the hostages.
Betancourt was kidnapped in the south of Colombia in February 2002 when she was travelling to Caqueta province as part of her presidential campaign.
FARC has offered to swap 45 hostages, including politicians and soldiers, for the release of 500 guerrillas held in prison.
Uribe made the announcement before his trip to Peru to attend the fifth Latin American, Caribbean and European Union summit.
The summit will discuss global warming, poverty and a recent surge in world food prices, which has triggered violence in many countries.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- Kidnapped Colombian politician found dead - Dec 23, 2009
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian hostages' families want Betancourt to represent them - Dec 01, 2008
- FARC guerrilla wanted by US captured in Colombia - Nov 02, 2009
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Huge cache of rebels' explosives seized in Colombia - Jan 04, 2009
- Colombian rebels to free six hostages - Jan 31, 2009
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
Tags: american summit, captives, captivity, colombian president alvaro uribe, european union summit, farc, free hostages, global warming, guerrilla group, ingrid betancourt, latin american, leftist guerrillas, military forces, president alvaro uribe, presidential campaign, presidential candidate, rebels, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, world food prices, xinhua