Cholera breaks out in Pakistan’s violence-hit northwestOctober 3rd, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 3 (DPA) Health authorities were struggling to treat hundreds of patients affected by a cholera outbreak in Pakistan’s conflict-ridden Swat mountain district, a media report said Friday.At least 600 suspected cases were reported in the past three days in Swat, where security forces have been battling Islamist militants for nearly a year, the Aaj news channel said.
Two children admitted to a state-run hospital in Saidu Sharif died from cholera Thursday. The town appeared to be the worst-affected area as more than 100 patients were registered Friday.
Scores of people in the adjacent areas of Mingora and Saidu Sharif also complained of symptoms of the potentially fatal disease, which is mainly transmitted through contaminated water.
The supply of potable water piped from reservoirs was suspended to most parts of Swat two weeks ago after insurgents blew up a key grid station in Mingora, forcing a large number of people to use water from streams and underground sources.
Aaj said hospitals in the affected area were running out of medicine and also facing a shortage of staff.
- Ghana cholera toll rises to 21 - Apr 19, 2012
- 15 hurt in Pakistan bombing - Jul 15, 2010
- Pak woman publicly flogged by Taliban yet to get over her horror and humiliation - Dec 07, 2010
- 16 cholera cases confirmed in Hyderabad - May 09, 2009
- Cholera in Assam tea gardens: 16 killed, 150 affected - Oct 27, 2010
- Gastroenteritis outbreak spreads panic in Budgam - Aug 23, 2010
- Surviving on contaminated water, Orissa villagers hit by cholera - Sep 11, 2010
- Six killed in Pakistan bomb blast (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Delhi Jal Board water contaminated with human feces - Mar 10, 2011
- Diarrhoea claims two lives in Gorakhpur - Aug 04, 2010
- Three mn affected by Pakistan's worst floods: UNICEF - Aug 03, 2010
- Over 160 cases of Hepatitis E in Shimla since mid-January - Feb 18, 2010
- Haiti's cholera strain came from South Asia: Study - Dec 11, 2010
- Acidic reservoir threatens Meghalaya's hydel project - Jun 14, 2011
- Venezuela confirms 239 cases of cholera - Feb 04, 2011