Chisty delighted to be back in PakistanMay 16th, 2012 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 16 (IANS) Virologist Mohammed Khalil Chisty, who was in an Indian jail for a 1992 murder and reached here on a plane sent by President Asif Ali Zardari, said it felt great to be back in Pakistan from “a point of virtually no return”.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik Tuesday night received 80-year-old Chisty, permitted by the Indian Supreme Court May 10 to visit Pakistan during the pendency of his appeal against his conviction in a murder case and life imprisonment in Ajmer.
Chisty said at the Islamabad airport that he had almost lost hope, but by the grace of Allah this miracle took place and he was back home from “a point of virtually no return”.
He also lauded Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his kind heartedness and Pakistani leaders for making efforts for his release, reported Geo News.
Zardari, during his meeting with Manmohan Singh in New Delhi last month, had pleaded for clemency for Chisty given his advanced age.
Chisty was sentenced to life imprisonment for the death of a person in a brawl while he was visiting Ajmer in April 1992.
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012
- Not a single dry eye as Chisty meets family - May 17, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Supreme Court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief - May 07, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Zardari writes to Manmohan for Chisty's repatriation (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- India must let Chisty, Pakistani fishermen return: Activists - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, clemency, geo news, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, indian supreme court, interior minister, islamabad airport, life imprisonment, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohammed khalil, murder case, pakistan islamabad, pakistani leaders, pendency, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rehman malik, virologist