Chisti may meet Sarabjit in PakistanMay 11th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ajmer, May 11 (IANS) Octogenarian Pakistani prisoner Mohammad Khalil Chisti, who was Thursday permitted by the Supreme Court to visit Pakistan for a temporary stay, would like to meet Sarabjit Singh, the Indian prisoner on death row in Pakistan for terrorism, his family members said.
“I have heard about Sarabjit Singh’s case. He is languishing in Pakistan jails for many years. I really want to meet him and would also try to speak to higher authorities for his release,” Chisti told media persons in Ajmer, some 150 km from Jaipur.
Sarabjit Singh has been in Pakistan prisons for more than 20 years. He has been convicted for staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives.
Sabarjit’s family members, human rights activists and the Indian government have been urging Pakistan to grant clemency to him.
Singh says he is only a poor farmer who mistakenly strayed into Pakistan from his village near the border. He was awarded the death penalty by an anti-terrorism court in 1991.
While lauding the Supreme Court judgement, Chisti said: “I am really happy and very excited to go back to Pakistan and looking forward to go as soon as possible there.”
Chisti’s younger brother Jameel Chisti said: “My brother is happy to get permission to visit Pakistan.”
Chisti is likely to file the application for release of his passport in a fast track court here Monday.
Chisti, a virologist in the Karachi Medical College, was sentenced to life imprisonment in January last year after an 18-year trial in a murder case.
The Supreme Court had April 11 granted condition bail to Chisti.
However, Chisti had to submit his passport to a court in Ajmer. The Supreme Court Thursday granted him permission to visit Pakistan, subject to certain conditions that include that he returns to India by Nov 1.
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chisty delighted to be back in Pakistan - May 16, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Supreme Court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief - May 07, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: ajmer, bomb blasts, clemency, death penalty, death row, human rights activists, indian government, jails, jaipur, lahore, life imprisonment, media persons, medical college, mohammad khalil, multan, murder case, nov 1, poor farmer, supreme court judgement, virologist