Chinese woman, 60, gives birth to twin girlsMay 27th, 2010 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 27 (ANI): A retired Chinese woman, who gave birth to twin girls at the age of 60, has landed at the top of the list of the country’s oldest mothers.
The two babies were born prematurely on May 25, 34 weeks after Cheng Lin (pseudonym) successfully received in-vitro fertilization (IVF), reports China Daily.
Cheng and her husband had decided to try for a baby again after Tingting, their daughter died at 28, along with her husband, in a gas poisoning incident last year.
According to the Xin’an Evening News, Cheng married in 1977, and had her only daughter, Tingting, in 1980. She grew up healthy and married in September 2008.
Half a year into the marriage, Tingting and her husband died as a result of gas poisoning during the Spring Festival in 2009.
Cheng and her husband were heartbroken over the deaths, and in a bid to find comfort she decided to try for a baby through IVF, even though she realised that having another baby at her age was probably out of the question.
Her husband Wu was not initially in favour of the idea, but at Cheng’s insistence he finally and reluctantly agreed.
With the help of their friends, Cheng and her husband travelled to Beijing last May, conducting face-to-face interviews with a host of gynaecology specialists.
Most of them thought that her chances of becoming pregnant would be very slim and that such a pregnancy would be unprecedented in the country.
However, Cheng did not give up and began to take daily medication and injections after she returned to Hefei.
On October 13, 2009, Cheng had a successful test-tube baby operation and she became pregnant with twins.
Since Cheng could not go full term with her pregnancy like younger mothers, the doctor at Hefei 105 Hospital, where she awaited the delivery, decided to conduct a Caesarean section.
“I do not have any thought, other than wishing for the safe birth of my two children,” she said before being sent to the surgery room.
The two infant girls are now in incubators in the hospital’s intensive care unit.
“The infants’ conditions are stable. The medical checks are ongoing and we need to further observe their conditions due to the complexity of the prematurity,” a nurse at the hospital said.
“Their cry resembles my late daughter, which is very silvery,” Cheng said while frowning from the pain from the scar on her stomach.
“The girls give me and my husband the courage to live on. Despite the fact that we are old, we have the confidence to bring them up,” she added. (ANI)
- Celine Dion says she was originally carrying triplets - Oct 30, 2010
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- 100 babies aborted in Britain by women not wanting multiple births - Dec 29, 2011
- 57-yr-old Indian-origin woman gives birth to twins Down Under! - Nov 07, 2010
- Celine Dion Gives Birth To Twin Boys - Oct 25, 2010
- Andhra man beats wife for carrying girl child - Apr 03, 2012
- Pregnant Celion Dion hospitalized to avoid premature delivery - Oct 19, 2010
- Dion hospitalised to avoid premature delivery - Oct 19, 2010
- 11-year-old girl gives birth in the central Philippines - Nov 28, 2011
- Celine Dion And Rene Angelil Welcome Twins - Oct 25, 2010
- 61 years old woman becomes pregnant in Brazil - Sep 26, 2011
- Celine Dion was expecting triplets - Oct 30, 2010
- Born weighing 450 grams, baby girl survives - Jul 26, 2012
- Thai sextuplets named after car brands - Jul 07, 2012
- British surrogate mother 'retires' after 10 children - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: baby operation, beijing, caesarean section, china daily, chinese woman, favour, fertilization ivf, gas poisoning, infant girl, insistence, medication, New Delhi, pregnancy, pseudonym, spring festival, surgery room, test tube baby, twin girls, vitro fertilization, xin