Chinese teens turn to Internet for sex infoAugust 5th, 2010 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 5 (ANI): A survey has shown that Chinese teenagers turn to the Internet when seeking information on sex, as the education they get in school and at home is inadequate.
The survey by the China Youth Daily newspaper, found that more than three-quarters of the 3,000 teenagers surveyed said the Internet is their most important source of information about sex, the Xinhua reported.
Books and friends were ranked as the next most important sources of knowledge about sex, and school and parents were rated as the two least important sources.
“There is a severe lack of formal sex education in China, so many teenagers turn to the Internet,” Ye Qing, a post graduate student at the Second Military Medical University, who runs an online sex education forum for Chinese youth, said.
But 71 percent of the respondents believe obscene content on the Internet disturbs teenagers.
“We do have sex education in the school. But it is far from enough,” says Zhang Chao, an Internet celebrity for his sex lectures stuffed with jokes.
Some 12 percent of the survey’s respondents believe sex education for children under the age of 10 is appropriate, even as 42.5 percent said primary school students already have some awareness of sex.
Children and college students should be provided with sex education, says Zhang Meimei, director of the Sex Education and Research Center at Beijing Normal University.
Pan Suiming, head of the Institute for Research on Sexuality and Gender at Renmin University of China, stresses that sex education must be compulsory. He also suggests changes in how sex education is provided.
“We should not focus on what we can tell teenagers. We should focus on what they want to know,” Pan said. (ANI)
- Chinese college students unaware about safe sex - Oct 30, 2010
- Unsafe sex common among Chinese college students: Study - Oct 30, 2010
- Chinese students don't know much about safe sex - Nov 14, 2011
- Nearly three in four Chinese use microblogs for latest news, information: Survey - Aug 25, 2010
- Free sex advice clinic has no takers as shy Chinese youths go online - Dec 25, 2010
- China's sex advice clinic shuts as shy youths go online - Dec 25, 2010
- Few visitors, so China's sex clinic shuts (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- 70 percent Chinese have pre-marital sex: Study - Apr 10, 2012
- 98 percent of parents feel youth should receive sex-ed from them: US study - Jan 09, 2011
- Girls in China to be taught how to resist 'sugar daddies' - Mar 30, 2011
- Chinese concerned at TV's negative effects - Feb 25, 2012
- 70 percent Chinese feel happy in 2011 - Dec 24, 2011
- Graduate, employed Chinese ask parents for money - Apr 08, 2010
- Most Chinese feel Internet a major source of rumours - Sep 09, 2011
- Chinese students to learn chastity lessons from US Christian ministry - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: beijing normal university, china youth, chinese teens, chinese youth, education and research center, education in china, graduate student, internet celebrity, meimei, obscene content, post graduate, renmin university of china, respondents, second military medical university, sex children, sex education forum, sex info, three quarters, university of china, xinhua