Chinese students fight for access to sex educationSeptember 15th, 2010 - 7:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 15 (ANI): Students in China are said to be fighting to gain access to extracurricular courses on sexual health.
Students at Nanjing Normal University (NNU) demanded that the courses be provided, and those who attended enjoyed learning about and discussing topics related to sex, the China Daily reported.
At Nanjing University of Finance and Economics, the students were amused by the demonstration on how to put on a condom, in which a banana was used as a prop.
They also took part in courtship rituals and were taught how to start a healthy relationship without engaging in unsafe sex.
“We received practical information, such as reproductive health and the prevention of HIV/AIDS, which is necessary for single young people nowadays,” the Yangtze Evening News quoted a NNU co-ed as saying.
In Shanghai, even younger children have been targeted. In August last year, a sex education camp for those aged between 8 and 13 tried to answer questions such as “Where do I come from?” for its curious participants.
Although the program received a cold reception in the city, where members of only 18 families applied to attend, it led to lively public debate and raised awareness of sex education among many Chinese parents.
Chinese health and education experts have been calling for a shift in the focus of sex education from married couples to single youths, most of whom suffer from a lack of knowledge because Chinese parents are too reluctant, or embarrassed, to teach their children about sex. (ANI)
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Condom cell phone charms become a rage among Chinese teens - Dec 28, 2010
- Chinese map shows theft-prone spots - Nov 25, 2011
- Sex survey at D.C. school triggers controversy - Oct 16, 2010
- New Hampshire high school bans safe-sex kits - Jan 08, 2011
- Chinese parents seek professional help to help provide children with "sex education" - Aug 18, 2010
- Chinese teenage helpline swamped with sex queries - Dec 05, 2010
- Too many extracurricular activities 'can harm kids' academic performance' - Mar 28, 2011
- Asian women on student visas join sex trade Down Under - Sep 01, 2010
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- Chinese think cost of raising children very high - Sep 19, 2010
- Sex, love now compulsory varsity course in China - Sep 15, 2011
- Chinese teens turn to Internet for sex info - Aug 05, 2010
- Shanghai boys to learn how not to lose masculinity - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: china daily, chinese health, chinese parents, chinese students, cold reception, courtship rituals, education camp, education experts, health students, how to put on a condom, lack of knowledge, married couples, nanjing normal university, nnu, prevention of hiv, prevention of hiv aids, public debate, reproductive health, sex education, unsafe sex