Chinese strategist recommends space forces for the futureJune 16th, 2009 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 16(ANI): A military strategist has proposed that the Chinese Army set up its own space forces for the future to protect China’s growing outer space assets.
Wang Fa’an, a senior researcher at Academy of Military Sciences, said the country would be carrying out many space missions in future, and this which would necessitate China developing its own space forces.
Space forces are often portrayed in the realms of science fiction as having fleets of spaceships equipped with lasers.
“Hi-tech military corps, including space forces, need to be considered in the future development plan of the Chinese Army,” the China Daily quoted Fa’an, as saying.Wang said the People’s Liberation Army will not pursue a strong fleet in space, saying the world does not need another arms race.
Earlier, the Russian armed forces had established their space contingent in August 1992, while the US air force planned to include lasers, missiles and space-based energy weapons in its Transformation Flight Plan released in 2004.
Major powers all around the world, including India, have also considered developing space forces.
According to scientific research, China currently has 54 satellites orbiting round the Earth. (ANI)
- Over 10,000 military dogs serving Chinese army - Dec 23, 2011
- Space crew to simulate walking on Mars in Feb - Jan 24, 2011
- China asks people to suggest names for space station - Apr 26, 2011
- China issues White Paper on arms control, peaceful development - Mar 31, 2011
- China vows to strengthen military to win 'local wars' (Second Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- China's defensive military policy won't change - Jul 29, 2011
- China-wary India developing space security systems - Nov 16, 2011
- Countdown begins for China's space station in 2020 - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Chinese army poses no threat to any nation' - Jul 31, 2012
- Liu is first Chinese woman in space - Jun 16, 2012
- No military expansion, China vows in white paper - Mar 31, 2011
- 'US warned China of military action over space missiles' - Feb 03, 2011
- China's space programme has no military purpose - Nov 19, 2011
- Russia-China trade turnover doubles to $60 bn in 2010 - Jun 04, 2011
- Australia urged to dramatically boost military might to face 'rising' China challenge - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: china daily, chinese army, contingent, energy weapons, fleets, flight plan, future development, lasers, liberation army, military sciences, military strategist, missiles, outer space, research china, saying the world, space assets, space forces, space missions, spaceships, us air force