Chinese man to swim 750 miles down Yangtze River to see Shanghai World Expo!July 9th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 9 (ANI): A Chinese man has started on his feat of swimming 750-mile down the polluted Yangtze River from his home in Wuhan to visit the World Expo in Shanghai.
According to the Xinmin Evening News, Bao Zhengbing, 56, who works for China Telecom, said it has been his childhood dream to swim from his home in central China to Shanghai.
“Now at last, I’ll swim all the way to Shanghai, to fulfil my own dream and to see the World Expo,” the Telegraph quoted him as telling the Shanghai Daily before starting his journey.
“When I was 12, I travelled to Shanghai by ship. The beautiful landscapes along the way impressed me so much that I wished one day I could swim along the route and stop wherever I chose,” he said.
However, he may find that China’s longest river has changed since he was a boy, with environmentalists labelling it as being “cancerous”.
Bao acknowledged that the adventure was dangerous and signed a statement saying he took full personal responsibility for anything that happened to him before beginning his swim.
Friends travelling in a boat and by car will follow him during his 35-day journey, during which he plans to swim 25 miles a day, reports said. (ANI)
- Three Chinese hurt as balloon explodes - Oct 11, 2011
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Kobe, LeBron to tour China after Olympics - Aug 11, 2012
- Central China city braces for flood - Jul 29, 2010
- Portuguese travellers drive to China for Shanghai expo - May 04, 2010
- Chinese journalists assaulted - May 13, 2012
- No recognition for Agra lifeguard who saved 50 lives (With Image) - May 23, 2012
- China detains South Korean ship - Feb 12, 2012
- China to build four super dams on Jinsha river - Jun 22, 2011
- China's Yangtze River faces climate threat - Nov 12, 2009
- Stapled visa, UNSC membership to figure in India-China bilateral talks, says Krishna - Nov 14, 2010
- Zardari visits Shanghai Expo - Jul 10, 2010
- 'Expo passport' a hot cake at Shanghai World Expo - May 02, 2010
- China may witness heavy floods this year - Jun 03, 2012
- China welcomes Year of the Dragon (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: beautiful landscapes, central china, childhood dream, china telecom, chinese man, environmentalists, journey, london, longest river, personal responsibility, shanghai world expo, telegraph, wuhan, xinmin evening news, yangtze river