Chinese firms sign nuke reactor deals with Pak despite international outcryJune 25th, 2010 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 25 (ANI): Despite serious objections being raised by both the US and India over China’s offer to help Pakistan build two nuclear reactors, a couple of Chinese companies have already signed contracts with Islamabad in this regard.
The China Nuclear Industry Fifth Construction Company (CNIFCC) and the CNNC China Zhongyuan Engineering Corp, which specialise in foreign nuclear projects, have agreed to work together on the third and fourth reactors at the Chashma nuclear complex in Punjab, said a statement posted on the website of the construction company.
The deal was signed on June 8, said the website- cnfc.net.cn.
Meanwhile, Beijing has reiterated that China and Pakistan were working in the spirit of equality and mutual benefit, and that both countries are committed to peaceful use of nuclear energy.
“We have been cooperating in this spirit,” The Daily Times quoted the spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry Qin Gang, as saying.
Both the US and India had raised concerns over China’s overtures to Pakistan, as they see a high proliferation risk in Pakistan, which has a history of providing ‘illegal’ nuclear know-how’s to countries such as Libya, Iran and North Korea. (ANI)
- China raises investment in nuclear R&D; - Feb 21, 2012
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
- China in discussions to build 1 GW nuke power plant in Pak - Sep 20, 2010
- 'Peaceful' nuclear deal with Pak in line with international obligations: China - Jun 17, 2010
- China expands its oldest n-power plant - Apr 08, 2012
- China expands its oldest n-plant - Apr 09, 2012
- China develops technology to solve uranium shortage - Jan 04, 2011
- China's plan to build two nuclear plants in Pakistan worries Washington: Report - Apr 29, 2010
- Boundary, China-Pakistan deal on agenda in NSA's Beijing trip (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Pak's one-GW nuke plant project likely to be finalised during Jiabao's visit - Dec 07, 2010
- China confirms plans to build two more nuclear reactors for Pakistan - Sep 22, 2010
- India taps NSG over China-Pakistan n-deal - Jun 20, 2010
- Why China struck n-deal with Pakistan 4 days after Indo-US deal (News Analysis) - Jun 29, 2010
- 20-year-old Chinese n-plant totally safe - Nov 27, 2011
- Pak-China nuke reactor deal set to open fresh rift with US - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: beijing, chinese companies, chinese firms, cnnc, construction company, foreign ministry, international outcry, islamabad, mutual benefit, north korea, nuclear industry, nuclear projects, nuclear reactors, objections, overtures, proliferation risk, reactor, spokesperson, use of nuclear energy, zhongyuan