Chinese delegation to Nepal submits draft of new Friendship TreatyFebruary 27th, 2009 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Feb 27 (ANI): The visiting Chinese delegation led by Assistant Chinese Foreign Minister Liu Jieyi has handed over the draft of ”Peace and Friendship Treaty” to acting Foreign Secretary Suresh Prasad Pradhan here on Thursday.
China proposed for a new Friendship Treaty in order to address the changed political situation after the abolition of monarchy in Nepal. The first Friendship Treaty between Nepal and China was signed in 1960.
The delegation said China hopes that the treaty could be signed during the Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda’’s upcoming Chinese visit.
Prachanda is scheduled to visit China in the second week of April.
Earlier, in separate meetings with Prachanda and Defense Minister Ram Bahadur Thapa, the Chinese delegation had asked about anti-China activities in Nepal and requested Nepal not to allow such activities.
Jiechi also expressed concern regarding possible “Free Tibet” protests in Nepal this year.
Prachanda reaffirmed Nepal’’s commitment to adopt strong measures to control anti-China activities, said his Press Advisor Om Sharma.
Prachanda also proposed that the Chinese government should support the construction of 400 MW Narsinghgad hydro-power project in Jajarkot. He also urged the Chinese government to help Nepal in infrastructure building and development of Special Economic Zones. In response Chinese Assistant FM said China would be happy to support Nepal in its development projects, Nepalnews reported. (ANI)
- Prachanda on one-China policy - Feb 26, 2009
- China surges ahead with economic diplomacy in Nepal - Aug 18, 2011
- Tibetans protest as India, China hold talks - Mar 01, 2012
- Nepal PM to revisit China May 2: report - Apr 22, 2009
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Nepali president meets visiting Chinese leader - Nov 08, 2011
- 14 Tibetans detained for protesting against India-China talks - Mar 01, 2012
- Nepal, China hope to sign new peace pact this year - Feb 26, 2009
- Nepal committed to one-China policy, says Prachanda - Feb 16, 2009
- China offers security aid to Nepal - Dec 03, 2008
- India accused of spoiling Maoist chances in Nepal - Sep 12, 2010
- China pressures Nepal to disrupt Tibetan polls - Oct 04, 2010
- China rains aid ahead of Nepal PM's visit - Apr 19, 2009
- Nepal seeks strong economic ties with China (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2009
- India reassures China over Tibet, calls for stronger ties (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: abolition, chinese delegation, chinese foreign minister, chinese government, chinese visit, defense minister, development projects, economic zones, free tibet, friendship treaty, hydro power, liu, monarchy, nepal, new friendship, om, political situation, prachanda, prime minister, protests