Chinese archaeologists discover 2,400-year-old soup potDecember 14th, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 14 (ANI): Archaeologists in China have discovered what they believe is a 2,400-year-old pot of soup.
The pot was unearthed near the ancient capital of Xian.
They found the liquid and bones in a sealed bronze-cooking vessel, near the home to the country’s famed terracotta warriors.
Tests are being carried out to identify the ingredients. An odourless liquid, believed to be wine, was also found.
The pots were discovered in a tomb being excavated to make way for an extension to the local airport.
“It’s the first discovery of bone soup in Chinese archaeological history,” the BBC quoted Liu Daiyun of the Shaanxi Provincial Institute of Archaeology as saying.
“The discovery will play an important role in studying the eating habits and culture of the Warring States Period (475-221BC).”
The scientists said the tomb could have held the body of either a member of the land-owning class or a low-ranking military officer, state media report said.(ANI)
- Archaeologists unearth ancient Chinese tomb - Nov 26, 2011
- China's earliest wine unearthed in tomb - Jul 06, 2012
- 2,000 years old tomb found in China - Nov 24, 2011
- 2,000 years old Xi'an tomb unearthed to study Western Han Dynasty - Apr 09, 2011
- 93 tombs belonging to Warring States Period, Han Dynasty unearthed - May 28, 2010
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- 100 more terracotta warriors found in China - Jul 17, 2009
- Chinese archaeologists unearth more terracotta warriors - May 19, 2010
- Tomb of ancient China's "major general" unearthed in China - Feb 01, 2010
- Chinese terracotta soldiers on an overseas visit - Aug 18, 2010
- Analysis of Chinese terracotta stallions points to horse castration 2000 years ago - Mar 03, 2010
- China to begin fresh excavation of terracotta army site - Jun 09, 2009
- Egypt Ramesses II temple found in Upper Egypt - Jul 16, 2010
- 700 km long ancient Great Wall found in northwestern China - Feb 10, 2010
- Ancient battlefield canteen found in China - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: archaeological history, archaeology, bbc, bones, china, chinese archaeologists, eating habits, first discovery, liu, london, military officer, pots, provincial institute, scientists, soup pot, terracotta warriors, warring states period, wine, xian