China’s urban population exceeds 600 millionJune 16th, 2009 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 16 (ANI): A social researcher in China has revealed that at the end of 2008, China’s urban population had surged to 607 million with an urbanization rate of 45.7 percent.
According to Shan Jingjing of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), the urban population in the country has increased by 148 million since 2000, which is almost level with the rural population in the most populous nation in the world.
“During the early 1980s, the rural population accounted for nearly 80 percent of the total.The urban surge reflected economic growth and internal labor movements, including 130 million migrant workers who left rural homes to work in the cities,” Xinhua quited Shan, as saying.
According to the Blue book published by CASS on Monday, Urbanization had not narrowed income gaps. The urban: rural income ratio averaged about 5 in 2008 by contrast with the gap in 2000 when the ratio was 2.79.
With rapid urbanization, China was also encountering various challenges amidst the global economic crisis, which has had a serious impact in the country.
“One of the challenges will be unemployment. According to research on 15 enterprises in five provinces, job vacancies have decreased by 5.3 percent since the end of March,” Shan said.
“The unemployment situation would be worsened by China’s huge labour pool with an annual 15 million new job hunters and some 6 million college graduates” he added. (ANI)
- China faces huge employment challenges - Mar 07, 2012
- 1.28 bn Chinese covered by medical insurance - Oct 12, 2011
- China's GDP to hit $5.5 trillion in 2010: report - Dec 16, 2010
- China issues white paper on poverty reduction - Nov 16, 2011
- Number of poor in Mexico climbs by 3.2 mn - Jul 30, 2011
- Inflation affecting living standards in China - Dec 22, 2011
- China says will continue "rapid urbanization policy" for some more time - Aug 08, 2010
- China to create more jobs for people in cities - Dec 18, 2011
- Chinese men to find it tougher to get wives - Jul 11, 2010
- China added 12 mn new jobs in 2011 - Dec 29, 2011
- Chinese students eat roundworm eggs to look thin - Jan 01, 2011
- Millions set to join job market: are we ready? (Comment) - Jul 09, 2012
- China plans to create 45 mn jobs - Feb 08, 2012
- 199 mn Chinese join rural pension programme - Jul 26, 2011
- China's urban unemployment rate at 4.1 percent in Q1 - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: academy of social sciences, blue book, chinese academy of social sciences, college graduates, gap, global economic crisis, income gaps, income ratio, jingjing, job vacancies, labour pool, migrant workers, new job, populous nation, rapid urbanization, shan, social researcher, urban population, urbanization rate, xinhua