China likely to approve new nuclear power projectsApril 22nd, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 22(AN): China is likely to approve new nuclear power projects in August, a senior nuclear expert has said.
“Operating plants and plants under construction will soon be inspected and reviewed by a group of experts,” the China Daily quoted Lin Chengge, a senior expert at the State Nuclear Power Technology Corp Ltd (SNPTC) and former deputy director of the National Nuclear Safety, as saying.
He also said that the review group completed an inspection of the Daya Bay nuclear power plant in Guangdong province last week.
“Results of the inspection will be provided to the government so it can decide if safety improvements are needed,” Chengge said.
China had earlier said that it would suspend approval for new nuclear power projects following the crisis at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, which was severely damaged by the devastating March 11 9.0-magnitude earthquake and ensuing tsunami.
The plant has been releasing large amounts of radioactive material, and the nuclear emergency level is currently on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, described as the world’s worst ever-peacetime nuclear event. (ANI)
- China may approve new nuclear plants - Apr 22, 2011
- Japan nuclear crisis to be resolved in nine months - Apr 17, 2011
- Japan royal couple visit tsunami-hit town Minamisanriku - Apr 27, 2011
- Japan nuke crisis not as bad as Chernobyl, but worse than Three Mile Island: Experts - Apr 07, 2011
- Chinese nuke plant safer than Fukushima: Experts - Mar 20, 2011
- Sea water off Kukushima has high level of radioactive iodine - Mar 24, 2011
- Japan upgrades nuke emergency to highest level 7, says disaster as bad as Chernobyl - Apr 12, 2011
- Ukranian and Russian Presidents visit Chernobyl Cathedral on 25th anniversary of explosion - Apr 26, 2011
- N-safety bill tabled in Lok Sabha - Sep 07, 2011
- China freezes new nuke plant projects in response to Japan tragedy - Mar 17, 2011
- Russia to send mission to assess Sea of Japan nuclear contamination - Apr 16, 2011
- Scientists cite 15 `near-misses' at US n-plants - Feb 29, 2012
- Fresh radioactive water leakage at Fukushima n-plant - Jan 22, 2012
- Japan: Thyroid gland irregularities found in evacuated youths from Fukushima - Oct 06, 2011
- Japan urges end of nuclear industry - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: chernobyl disaster, china daily, corp ltd, daya bay nuclear power plant, emergency level, former deputy director, guangdong province, magnitude earthquake, march 11, nuclear emergency, nuclear event, nuclear expert, nuclear power plant, nuclear power technology, nuclear safety, peacetime, power projects, radioactive material, safety improvements, technology corp