China jails American geologist for eight years for stealing state secretsJuly 5th, 2010 - 4:49 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, July 5(ANI): A Chinese-born American geologist has been sentenced to eight years in jail in China for collecting intelligence and illegally providing state secrets to his company in the US.
Beijing’s No. 1 Intermediate People’s Court also fined Xue Feng 200,000 yuan.
The 44-year-old was detained in 2007 after negotiating the sale of an oil industry database to his US consulting firm IHS Energy, now known as IHS inc.
US Ambassador to China, Jon Huntsman, was at court for the sentencing.
The embassy later issued a statement saying that it was “dismayed”, and urged China to grant Xue “humanitarian release and immediately deport him”.
Talking about the conviction, John Kamm, an American who regularly campaigns for the release of Chinese political prisoners, said: “This is a very harsh sentence. It’s a very sad day for justice in China.”
“It’s a huge disappointment and will send very real shivers up the spines of businesses that do business in China,” The Telegraph quoted Kamm, as saying.
Three Chinese nationals were also sentenced for illegally providing intelligence abroad.
Li Yongbo was sentenced to six years in jail, and Chen Mengjin and Li Dongxu were both given two-and-a-half-year sentences. (ANI)
- China jails US geologist on 'state secret' charges - Jul 05, 2010
- China defends sentence of US spy geologist - Jul 07, 2010
- US urges release of citizen sentenced in China - Jul 07, 2010
- French citizen gets death for drug trade in China - Aug 09, 2010
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Chinese official executed for stealing, selling cultural relics - Nov 20, 2010
- China's badminton coach plays down Olympic hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- China posts biggest trade deficit in decade - Mar 11, 2012
- 21 jailed in China for telecom fraud - Jul 22, 2011
- China jails two for leaking secrets - Oct 24, 2011
- China executes official for plundering cultural relics - Nov 19, 2010
- Former Chinese governor gets life imprisonment for bribery - Apr 09, 2011
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Obama likely to nominate Gary Locke as new US Ambassador to China - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,