China doubtful about topping Beijing medals tallyAugust 18th, 2008 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 18 (ANI): Chinas sporting heads are maintaining a cautious tone, saying the team may not be able to win as many gold medals to top the medal tally, as earlier thought.
As of now, China leads the medals tally with 35 golds, 16 more than second-placed US.
The China Daily quoted, Cui Dalin, China’’s deputy Chef de Mission, as saying that Team China’’s best has passed since most competitions in the country’’s top sports have ended.
Many believe that with another week of sporting events, China will break its previous best of 32 golds, a mark it set four years ago in Athens, and overtake the US as No 1 in the medal tally.
Chinese officials, however poured cold water on these high expectations, saying, In the remaining program, we are not strong, particularly in athletics and team sports such as basketball and soccer.”
China is traditionally strong in weightlifting, shooting, judo and badminton, and the Beijing Games has been no exception, the officials added.
Chinese athletes have won five gold medals in shooting, three golds in judo and three in badminton.
Chinese weightlifters have won an overwhelming eight golds out of nine events that they have entered.
China can still win a batch of gold medals in a number of sports, such as table tennis, taekwondo and gymnastics. Moreover, it also has an outside gold medal chance in cycling, boxing, beach volleyball and sailing. (ANI)
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Medals don't determine honour or dishonour: China Daily - Aug 02, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Preparation of national teams for London Olympics gets under way - Mar 16, 2011
- Don't reject state-run sports, says Chinese daily - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic medals attest to China's progress, says daily - Aug 06, 2012
- 36 Indian shooters will be targetting 120 CWG medals - Aug 25, 2010